carb cleaning

4 replies to this topic
  • stokerslo

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:29 PM

ok, it seem like I need to clean my carb on my 2002 wr 426 due to the fact that i let it set with gas in it for like 1.5 yrs and it know runs terrible. my question is,what are the steps for this? does the whole carb need to be dissambled as per the service manuel, or is there a simpler way to do it. also I have an air compressor but what "solvent" do i use? thx marc

• stokerslo

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:13 PM

sorry, i meant to put this in the wr section, but i think it still applies to 2002 yz's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamPrecisionIT

Posted April 04, 2012 - 03:57 AM

If the jets, needle, and float bowl are real bad, I use Berryman's carb dip to get the varnish and gunk to fade away. Then use the compressed air to make sure the jets are clear.

Damian

• Slow and Jerky

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:51 AM

It really depends, typically the jets are the biggest issue for getting gummy. It is not a bad idea to soak the whole thing but you have be sure you get all the rubber and plastic parts off it (including the accelerator pump). A good carb dip is best, but if you are cheap like me you can use a mix of gas and lacquer thinner to soak the jets. If it has been sitting a while I like to soak everything over night and then use a can of carb cleaner and compressed air to get the jets cleaned out.

If you haven't done one of these before take lots of digital pictures as you are disassembling, it helps to be able to go back and see where things are supposed to be.

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2012 - 07:56 AM

The problem with soaking the main carb body is first that it requires that the TPS be removed. This will create an extra job going back together, since you'll need to readjust it if that's done.

The other problem is that there is a formed rubber gasket between the upper and lower sections of the main body that is basically unavailable. I hear that JD offers one, but I don't know for certain. Damaging that gasket, which could occur if you separate the two parts or soak it with the gasket in place, could be the end of the carb's serviceable life.

Read: http://www.thumperta...726#post8021726

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.