wanting to gear down

14 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have a 2005 wr450. Wanting to gear down a bit for trail riding. I guess what I an wanting to figure out is do I drop a tooth in the front? Go up a couple in the rear? Just looking for a little more slow riding torque. Slow first second gear type stuff.

• massey1two8

Posted April 03, 2012 - 03:59 PM

http://www.sprocketc...atio-chart.html Hope this helps

• VinceDC

Posted April 03, 2012 - 04:36 PM

In my opinion one tooth down from stock in the front is about perfect for slow single track.For some extreme stuff I have even add a tooth to the rear as well.

• The Hopper Show

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://www.sprocketc...atio-chart.html Hope this helps

not at all. reading a chart full of numbers has no real world value to me. wouldn't even have the slightest clue what number i am trying to achieve.

In my opinion one tooth down from stock in the front is about perfect for slow single track.For some extreme stuff I have even add a tooth to the rear as well.

that is what i was thinking, but dont want to be too low as i do some desert riding too.

• n16ht5

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:25 PM

learn to ride with a finger on the clutch at all times and you wont need to regear. stock gearing is short on these imo.

• The Hopper Show

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:07 PM

i usually ride two fingers on the clutch, one on the front brake. never really had an issue with the gearing, was just curious as to how the bike would respond, maybe make it a bit easier in the tight.

we should ride sometime.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 04, 2012 - 12:23 AM

I found the bike was always trying to run away from in first, when on real tight stuff
my 450 is an 08 model and came with 14/50 as std
tried 13/50, better but first still to high - was still on the clutch
went down to 12/50 and knew instantly that this was what i was looking for
bike will still do in excess of 70mph, so no worries there

i can now drop to walking pace without having to slip the clutch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Waylon43

Posted April 04, 2012 - 12:42 AM

I have one down in front as well and think it is perfect, I don't think you will think it is too low.

• DrFeelGood

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:07 AM

I also have an 08. I went to a 14/52 and it made a world of difference. It's amazing what a couple of teeth will do. Tight wooded areas are now much easier to navigate, yet I can still climb hills in first with plenty of speed.

I think the ratios work out to 1 tooth on the front is worth 4 on the rear. So a 14/54 is roughly the same as a 13/50.

• n16ht5

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:22 AM

i usually ride two fingers on the clutch, one on the front brake. never really had an issue with the gearing, was just curious as to how the bike would respond, maybe make it a bit easier in the tight.

we should ride sometime.

ah ok. I have always geared taller on my bikes for high speed, just got used to riding the clutch. I came to like the tall first gear because I dont shift much on the tighter trails, where as stock gears I was in between first and second half the time.

Ill be at Walker Valley tomorrow thu if you want to ride

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have a 2005 wr450. Wanting to gear down a bit for trail riding. I guess what I an wanting to figure out is do I drop a tooth in the front? Go up a couple in the rear? Just looking for a little more slow riding torque. Slow first second gear type stuff.

I have the same bike. For the technical stuff, I find that 14/50 (stock) works really well. Dropping a tooth in the front is a really big change. Don't do that far. Always work with the rear. Get a set of cheap steel sprockets and figure out what you like.

I would not gear the bike for 1 st gear. No matter what, you will always be riding the clutch. You should gear it so that you hadly have to touch the clutch in second.

• W R

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:12 PM

This is kind of a hard subject to tell anyone what to do as every rider is different. I personally prefer not ever having to put my bike in first. I have a lot better control being able to ride my bike slow in second so I like to have it geared down a bit lower than most. What I will recommend is that you should never go below a 13 on the front. A 12 is a real tight turn on the chain and you are not going to get the same life out of it. Yes many people do it because when you jump up in the back at some point you will have to buy a new chain for the length

My sons 2006 WR450F is 13/50. He loves it
My 2011 WR450F is 13/52 and I love it. Having said that I am not sure of the transmission change but his bike still tractors a bit slower than mine does even though my gearing is lower...................Trial and error till you get it right.

When gearing your bike down think of the gears just like a fraction 13/50 = 13 devided by 50 = .26
Or just remember drive devided by driven.
so:
14/48=.29
14/50=.28
13/50=.26
13/52=.25
And so on. the lower the outcome the lower the gearing Maybe this will help you.

• W R

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:24 PM

Sorry I think I should throw this out there before I get bashed. Many people will say I am wrong in my gear ratios as we have had that same argument around the lunch room table. Thinking of it like a car someone might say they have a set of 4:10's or ......

Well if you take driven devided by drive you can come up with that kind of thinking.
14/48 would be 48 devided by 14 = 3.42
14/50=3.57
13/50=3.85
13/52=4.0
So now the higher the number the lower the gear ratio. To me this does not work for my feeble brain. My brain works with drive devided by driven and the lower the number the lower the gear. I guess to each his own and I will probably be told I am wrong but it works for me and always has.

• JimL

Posted April 06, 2012 - 12:43 PM

I ran a 13/50 on my 06wr and loved it in the woods. very snappy and fun.Allows you to lug 2nd instead of going to 1st. If your chain is good try the 13 front and see how u like it. it won't cost you much. If it's too much change the rear when your chain wears out and go 14/52 and you will split the difference.
hey Guygraham are you sure your 08 came with a 14/50? My 08 came 13/50 and thats what my manual says.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 07, 2012 - 09:56 AM

I ran a 13/50 on my 06wr and loved it in the woods. very snappy and fun.Allows you to lug 2nd instead of going to 1st. If your chain is good try the 13 front and see how u like it. it won't cost you much. If it's too much change the rear when your chain wears out and go 14/52 and you will split the difference.
hey Guygraham are you sure your 08 came with a 14/50? My 08 came 13/50 and thats what my manual says.

dead certain it was 14/50
i think its a european thing - my wsm says this is std

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.