Car engine oil for 4 stroke bike?

6 replies to this topic
  • wrwest

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:33 AM

Can I use Castrol EDGE 5W40 in my 450 WR ?

Its a full synthetic oil.

• hjorth

Posted April 03, 2012 - 01:38 AM

As far as I know you shall use JASO approved oil, otherwise your clutch will slip, because of some low friction additives in car oil.

• Taxgod4u

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Is Shell Rotella T, the diesel oil, still a good one to use for these things?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:02 AM

if it doesnt say "energy conserving" in the circle where it says the weight you are okay.

yes shell rotella t is good, I used it for years.

I run Valvoline racing synthetic. its fairly inexpensive ($5-6 qt) and after searching peoples oil analysis's it holds up really well compared to stuff like amsoil

• Stealth13

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I use rotella t diesel in mine.

• hjorth

Posted April 03, 2012 - 10:34 AM

• API SM
  • SAE 5W-40
  • ACEA A3/B4
  • Approved for VW 502 00/ 505 00; BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.3, Porsche A40 (refer to vehicle manual)
This oil I would not recommend for a wr450, from API SG and newer, low friction additives were added, (like zink liniment)
You could use it in a ducati motorcycle with a dry clutch.
I have destroyd the clutch in my honda cbr 900rr fireblade with car oil, it did not help to change back to proper motorcycle oil, I had to change the frictionplates in the clutch.

• surveydude

Posted April 04, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Possibly a stupid question here but here goes. I often see mention of Shell rotella diesel oil being used. I used Delo 15/40 for many years (in two strokes) with great success. Seeing as i'm having a complete rebuild top and bottom done on my WR400 (sone to be WR426) would Delo be a good brand to use. I can get the Delo 1-5 gallons at a time so it would be cheap for me but not worth hurting a new motor. Thanks in advance.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.