'03 WR450 Starter Conversion Tutorial

33 replies to this topic
  • E4x4Eric

Posted April 25, 2012 - 10:29 PM

I got the parts and I started to work on the bike and this is what i see.

Posted Image

• zibbit u2

Posted April 25, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Time for a new outer cover. That sucks, but at least you caught it before anything else could go wrong.

• Rocky739

Posted April 26, 2012 - 04:32 AM

Bummer. Check eBay if you don't mind used.

• E4x4Eric

Posted April 26, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Checked eblay and no love for the 5TJ-15411-10-00

• Rocky739

Posted April 26, 2012 - 04:06 PM

That sucks, at least it didn't totally grenade out in the boondocks somwhere I suppose. Wonder if that is the result of a kick back? Do you know if your flywheel is locktighted and toqured down?

• E4x4Eric

Posted April 26, 2012 - 07:36 PM

That sucks, at least it didn't totally grenade out in the boondocks somwhere I suppose. Wonder if that is the result of a kick back? Do you know if your flywheel is locktighted and toqured down?

I ran the VIN at the Yamaha shop and the previous owner took it to dealership for some type of flywheel recall in 2003. This is caused by the back fire issue we talked about on this thread. I am lucky that it didn't crack the engine case.

• bg10459

Posted April 27, 2012 - 11:05 AM

I ran the VIN at the Yamaha shop and the previous owner took it to dealership for some type of flywheel recall in 2003. This is caused by the back fire issue we talked about on this thread. I am lucky that it didn't crack the engine case.

Unfortunately, that recall didn't fix the problem, only moved it to a more expensive location. I'm sure you'd rather be repacing a woodruff key right now, instead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted April 27, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Unfortunately, that recall didn't fix the problem, only moved it to a more expensive location. I'm sure you'd rather be repacing a woodruff key right now, instead.

Triple bummer, assume Yamaha dealer didn't offer to give or sale you a cover at cost for their recall that made the situation worse.. Well at least you will never be able to get your flywheel off now.. Wait thats not a bright side at all.

• stuntheavy

Posted April 28, 2012 - 04:50 PM

is the physical starter itself the same? The previous owner had a nasty backfire, broke the case around the kickstart, and blew the starter into 100 pieces. so I need all the electric start parts. Just trying to figure out what I would need, ontop of the above listed parts. Looks like just the starter, and the wiring. Anyone know 100% if the starters are the same?

• E4x4Eric

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:41 PM

After googling for parts this is the cheapest place I found for my 03 wr http://www.2wheelpros.com/

• E4x4Eric

Posted May 13, 2012 - 09:29 AM

The bike is back together with the o4 starter damper and the new side cover. However I cant find the missing broken piece of the the old side cover.

• yuleman

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:44 PM

i am the second owner of this low miles 03 450 [color=#009900][size=2]bike[/size][/color]Posted Image, have owned it for two yrs and have just replaced the original starter. i had been noticing that funcky kick back noise from time to time with the original starter and hoped the new one help. no luck... all the old noises still persisted. i just recently found out about 04 mods and intsantly ordered them. literally the day i found out about the mods the new starter( less than 3 mos old) started to not ingage with the starter clutch. it would engage while the bike was turning over, then disengage, then engage again. it started doing this very sporadically, but over the last couple rides it rarley engages the starter clutch at all anymore. i am pretty sure that the woodruff key is still in one piece ( i bought one with the mods just in case) since when it engages and turns over.......... from time to time, or am i wrong and things are really ugly inside?! i installed the mods tonight but nothing has changed. is my woodruff key sheared or would taking the starter apart and lubing it the way i have [color=#009900][size=2]read[/size][/color]Posted Image in this forum help or ............am i looking at purchasing yet another starter? HELP!!!

• E4x4Eric

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Did you put two washers on the new damper and did you replace the side cover with the 04 cover? It sounds like the bushing is too big for the new damper or its missing the two washers.

• truckeeman

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:58 AM

E4x4Eric. yep. one washer each side and new cover. the washers are the correct diameter for the shaft its just that there are grooves, about the same thickness as the washers, that go around the shaft right were the washers sit.(?) i just ran that starter for two 100 mi days and it worked flawlessly. i dont think there will be much wear there as it is pretty minor play but i will take it apart in the near future and see what it looks like.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.