Is KTM going to have fuel injection on the 2 strokes for 2013?

65 replies to this topic
  • GlennE

Posted April 01, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Now that all the four strokes are injected (I'm sure the SX 450 was a big project), will the 2 strokes be next?

While direct injection would be awesome, I would be happy with throttle body injection. It works great on snowmobiles, and is so much nicer then carbs.

Anyone see the Ossa in cycle world? Direct injection with the 2 stroke pipe under the seat! Looks like the perfect setup to me!

Check it out

http://twostrokemoto...ture-of-enduro/

I'm on an 09 450 XC-F now. Thought I would try a 4 stroke and don't really care for it much for my riding (mountain single track). Planning on going back to a 2 stroke (had a YZ and RM 250 previously). Hoping to see injection soon!

• Lelandjt

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Probably not. Pretty likely for 2014.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I have a buddy that is just waiting for KTM to do this to get a bike. Seadoo did this in their 951cc two stroke twin cylinder engines and it worked great. It would be interesting to see KTM have this as an option.
Joe........

• fltplan

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:35 PM

F.I. should add a nice bump in horsepower. Until the 2nd year of production my 09' should do me fine.

• lookntoride

Posted April 02, 2012 - 04:53 AM

So is it Because Seadoo or some other Co. has the patent on it and it is too expensive for KTM to do?
Here is a article I found, I do not know if it is factual or not.
http://www.snowgoer....-is-a-big-deal/

• borlo

Posted April 02, 2012 - 06:09 AM

I heard that they have it all ready to go, just waiting for a ($$$) reason to need to switch over, such as emissions related govt mandate from somewhere.

Maybe I should start writing my congressmen to introduce a law requiring all new 2 strokes to be F.I.?

Cuz I really want one.

• zig06

Posted April 02, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Adding FI will not increase HP, but it will increase the complexity of a 2 stroke, increase the cost and increase the weight. It will also improve "ridability" as it will most likely be able to account for temp and elevation changes. One thing that the thumpers are just getting around to solving is the top end leaning out, that's why Kawasaki has a second injector on their 250f, so it's just matter of time before the rest of the 250f's (and 450's) get a second one.

The only advantage I see to having FI is that they will most likely have oil injection, so now you'll be able to top off at a gas station without the worry of mixing gas. And the "jetting" (fuel map) will be able to account for changing temps. I'm not too sure if that'll be worth the extra cost, weight, and complexity (did I mention that already?). In some ways I'm just not sold on EFI for dirt bikes. Partly because the fuel pump power wire fell off my old '08 RMZ450, which left me completely silent in the forest and with a 2 hour push back to the truck.

• tye1138

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I would be interested if KTM did direct injection where you spray the oil at the crank, it mixes with the air and then the main injector is a direct injector in the cylinder. That would add quite a bit of complexity, but I think it would be the best method of dealing with fueling.

Meh, I'll stop riding 2 strokes when they go injected, no reason. All the fun of 2 strokes for me is the ol' simple mechanical and light-weight. Once you add the electronics, they might as well be a 4 stroke. Kool yes, still smokin' nope... :thumbsup:

• PSD_Sun

Posted April 02, 2012 - 11:06 AM

I use to really be excited by the prospect of a DI 2 stroke but now I realize that I'm not interested in the4 cost and weight of the entire system.

I just want KTM to build a 350cc regular carbed 2 stroke in the new 250SX chassis. That is all that I need.

• vlad7890

Posted April 02, 2012 - 03:56 PM

+1 on the 350cc carbed 2-stroke. I don't want the bike to gain 5 pounds, cost $1,000 more and require a degree in EE to work on. Keep that FI off of it.

• lookntoride

Posted April 02, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Would a 350 be enough or maybe a 400cc?

• GlennE

Posted April 02, 2012 - 05:53 PM

You guys are way too worried about the FI.

Sleds and atvs have had it for a while and it works great.

You couldn't pay me enough money to go back to a carb'd sled.

Like I said, I don't care if its direct injection. Throttle body would be fine with me!

• mynewcr250

Posted April 02, 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have a buddy that is just waiting for KTM to do this to get a bike. Seadoo did this in their 951cc two stroke twin cylinder engines and it worked great. It would be interesting to see KTM have this as an option.
Joe........

pretty much what im waiting for as well. fuel injection doesnt scare me the least bit, i work with it everyday. i really dont want to buy a carbed 250sx just to have the fuel injected model come out next year. carbs are easy, but so is fuel injection.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted April 02, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Would a 350 be enough or maybe a 400cc?

They already did that, the 380. Bring back the 380!! Oh my would I love to throw a leg over a 2013 380SX, yummy!!!
Joe..........

• PPS Moto

Posted April 02, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I really hope not. Would hate to see the added complication and weight.

• zig06

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:40 AM

They already did that, the 380. Bring back the 380!! Oh my would I love to throw a leg over a 2013 380SX, yummy!!!
Joe..........

Does anyone have a bore/stroke kit for a 300?? Not that the average guy needs one, but what the heck, the lastest chassis is sooo nice it could easily handle more power.

• Dingateer

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I would be a little sad if they came out next year because i bought a 2012 250 SX. I don't want it to be obsolete in one year. But it doesn't matter much because i rode my 04 yz125 from 2008 to 2012 and it was still somewhat competitive.

• gruberyz

Posted April 03, 2012 - 11:38 AM

If it needs an electric fuel pump I say no thanks. Don't need fuel filters capacitors and relays on a simple easy to maintain to stroke. Jetting is childs play and easy to acomplish now why mess with it for little real world benifit.

• Dumb_Fee

Posted April 03, 2012 - 01:16 PM

If it needs an electric fuel pump I say no thanks. Don't need fuel filters capacitors and relays on a simple easy to maintain to stroke. Jetting is childs play and easy to acomplish now why mess with it for little real world benifit.

+1...the ktm 2T's are already magic. Why fack with it???

• randysoo

Posted April 03, 2012 - 01:48 PM

+1...the ktm 2T's are already magic. Why fack with it???

Because as good as it is, the pain in the ass jetting is still the weak link to an almost perfect bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.