After a forty year break from dirt bikes.....

19 replies to this topic
  • 559stan

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:38 AM

All I can say is WHA HOOOOO!!! these things are bitchin. Just purchased a 2007 yz450f from a guy even older than me. The bike has 26hrs on the meter and came with a white brothers pipe, hinsen clutch, skid plate, enzo forks with tanks, enzo shock, pro taper bars, break away levers, graphics set plastics/seat/fenders and all the factory plastic and fenders. This is a scratch free like new bike and he threw in extra oil/air filters, tie downs, goggles, lenses, foot lever stand and two sets of blue riding gear for $2,900. The bike is set up for 175lbs and I'm 190 and need to lose10lbs

• 559stan

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Sorry my cell phone limits my post. The only thing I was missing was a kick stand and a starter button to make it a great old man bike. Next day on craigslist a kid had a kick-it kick stand on a blown up 2006yzf. When I bought the kick stand he said the titanium valves get brittle at forty hours and then showed me pictures of his chewed up motor. He tried to sell me a paddle tire and I wonder if that's where his problem started? What has your experience been, this is a old man play bike. What kind of hours should I expect. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2012 - 01:54 PM

...he said the titanium valves get brittle at forty hours ...

Complete BS

• crf450319

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Complete BS

X2, not a stitch of truth to that one...

• mikewrf18

Posted April 02, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Kid didn't know what he was talking about. My 02' yzf has lasted 10 years on the same top end with one valve adjustment. That's many more then 40 hours of trail riding. Granted, I'm pushing the limits and I intend to get a fresh top end soon.
Welcome to TT and back to the best sport ever!

Edited by mikewrf18, April 02, 2012 - 10:11 AM.

• 559stan

Posted April 03, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Oh hey, that kick it kick stand is a really nice item. I'm getting better at starting the beast too! Thanks

• Ryan426

Posted April 03, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Welcome to thee best dirt bike forum, period.

• 559stan

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:21 AM

ok, I bit the bullet and ordered a ohlins steering damper. next is the auto clutch(exp) and that should complete the old man bike. For the old man I ordered a leatt neck brace and roost guard combo. I Have a friend who could have used a neck brace like this twenty years ago!

• Gunner354

Posted April 29, 2012 - 01:30 PM

ok, I bit the bullet and ordered a ohlins steering damper. next is the auto clutch(exp) and that should complete the old man bike. For the old man I ordered a leatt neck brace and roost guard combo. I Have a friend who could have used a neck brace like this twenty years ago!

I would not put in the exp but the Pro. Even Rekluse says that the exp needs constant maintenance. The Pro is a install and forget about it version. Have two 09 yz450's with the Pro and one of them has close to 400 hrs with original clutch.

• RiderX

Posted April 29, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I would not put in the exp but the Pro. Even Rekluse says that the exp needs constant maintenance. The Pro is a install and forget about it version. Have two 09 yz450's with the Pro and one of them has close to 400 hrs with original clutch.

I love my Pro. Another thing to consider is that if you ever want to run a left hand rear brake you will have to find a way to retain the clutch lever with the EXP, but not the Pro.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 559stan

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:09 PM

My bike already has a hensen clutch and basket. Are you saying toss them and go for the pro?

• Gunner354

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:14 PM

My bike already has a hensen clutch and basket. Are you saying toss them and go for the pro?

You can still use the Hinson basket with the Pro.

• RiderX

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Only the hub, pressure plate, and steel plates are replaced with the Pro.

• 559stan

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Old man bike hit the mx track this weekend. What a joke! It was just a practice day, but I suck! I'm so low on endurance my tounge was hanging by half a lap. Could have used that rekluse exp as I killed it in a corner once. To keep from doing that again I started fanning the clutch with some rather interesting results lol. The ohlins damper didn't seem to do much at the low speeds I was running, but I didn't crash so maybe it was working! I looked pretty silly out there but didn't care I had a date later that evening with a stunning young lady. Got to work on that endurance. Rekluse clutch is a 4 week back order, spent way to much energy restarting in that corner if you know what I mean. Time for my work-out. Stan

• 559stan

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:07 PM

It's two days later and the front of my legs still hurt! its time to pull out the bicycle and fix the flat tire.

Edited by 559stan, May 07, 2012 - 05:09 PM.

• 559stan

Posted May 24, 2012 - 02:56 PM

the Old man bike got the rekluse exp clutch today. I'll try it out and report back. next on my list are radiator fans and fixing the flat on my bicycle lol.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:01 AM

the Old man bike got the rekluse exp clutch today. I'll try it out and report back. next on my list are radiator fans and fixing the flat on my bicycle lol.

Nice.. but why do you need radiator fans? If that bike is overheating at the track, something else is wrong.

• 559stan

Posted May 25, 2012 - 03:01 PM

No over heating yet, but I live in cenral califonia and summer temps are 100°+ . While on the slow trail stuff it would be nice if I had more than thirty seconds at a stand still before melt down.

• Alan48

Posted May 25, 2012 - 08:29 PM

This is by far the best forum i have came across in a longggggg time!!! Good to see ya having fun Stan and I seriously mean that.That's what riding is all about.All the best to ya our friend.

• 559stan

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Ok, here it is. The rekluse exp auto clutch is the best old man bike upgrade ever!!! just like a fifty horse power trail 90.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.