Price for used 2010?

8 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'm looking at a used 2010 YZ450F. Bike is all stock( new chain and sprockets) and owner claims low hours. i have yet to see the bike in person but pics seem to suggest bike does indeed have low hours on it. I am curious as to what would be a fair price for this bike? Just looking to avoid over paying for the bike.

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted April 02, 2012 - 01:48 PM

Depends on condition, In Az I've seen abused ones with 65+ hours going for $4500-4800. And have also seen some very clean ones in the $5300-5500 range. Just go off what NADA guides, I usually try to make offers between low/high book. good luck...love my 2012!

• The Hopper Show

Posted April 03, 2012 - 05:59 PM

New chain and sprockets is not low hours

• dalonar

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:01 PM

New chain and sprockets is not low hours

Wrong....I had a 2010 with just over 6 hours and the chain was showing wear, i replaced with a high quality O-ring chain and right under 50 hours it's still going strong. In my opinion (maybe i had a bad one) the stock chain/sprockets are junk

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Hopper Show

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Wrong....I had a 2010 with just over 6 hours and the chain was showing wear, i replaced with a high quality O-ring chain and right under 50 hours it's still going strong. In my opinion (maybe i had a bad one) the stock chain/sprockets are junk

i have got 700 miles and 7 years of riding on my stock chain and sprockets and lots of life left in them.

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Yeah but the original owner might have let the chain get to much slack and if it wasnt adjusted properly it would have worn out both sprocket and chain very fast...

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Yeah but the original owner might have let the chain get to much slack and if it wasnt adjusted properly it would have worn out both sprocket and chain very fast...

Too little slack would be the problem, not too much.

i have got 700 miles and 7 years of riding on my stock chain and sprockets and lots of life left in them.

With my apologies, I'm going to have to say that I don't buy that at all. OEM YZ chains are notorious junk, for one thing, and the one that cam on your '05 or '06 is no different. I've seen them run past the wear limit in a couple of months, and take the sprockets out in the process. For another, 700 miles in 7 years? how does that add up?

• jaro51

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:09 AM

OEM chain on my '11 was total garbage. Replaced after 2 hrs before it tore up the sprockets too. IMO, replacing chain and sprockets is a very poor indicator of bike hrs.

• rdefonce

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:29 AM

OEM chain on my '11 was total garbage. Replaced after 2 hrs before it tore up the sprockets too. IMO, replacing chain and sprockets is a very poor indicator of bike hrs.

Agreed. I also replaced my stock chain after 1 hour, although I'm sure it would have lasted a lot longer than that.

A better indication of time is:
- wear/scuffing at locations such as side cases, frame (should have some but not excessive)
- brake rotor and pad condition (they should be original on a low hour bike)
- condition of wheels (they should look pretty damned new on low hour bike)
- overall condition of the plastic parts should also look fairly fresh, with minimum pitting/scratches/etc from typical use.

I consider my '10 low hours; bought new 1 year ago and I just pulled of the original rear tire for the first time. (it still wasn't worn out.)
I think a low hour bike could even have original tires on it, not totally worn out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.