Jetting and suspension help

6 replies to this topic
  • proamature

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:30 AM

Ok I have a 1999 wr400 Ima do a lot of tight trail riding. I'm about 5'7 and 140 lbs I have a couple questions
1-what's the best jet set up. Live in Lexington sc. Do a lot of trail ridding
2-I'm 140 lbs and not that tall can u lower these bikes?
3- how hard and how much to rebuild forks
4- what's the starting procedure
5- what's the basic mantince on one

Any help would be great
Thanks - nick-

• Stealth13

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Read the big jetting guide, for starting give it a few throttle twists then try starting, maintenance depends how you ride it, the manual has very descriptive intervals

• Taxgod4u

Posted March 29, 2012 - 02:48 PM

#2 Duvol lowering link or yamalink

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travertt

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:19 PM

2-I'm 140 lbs and not that tall can u lower these bikes?

I'm 5'8"...put a Yamalink lowering link on my 04 WR450....it changed my life!!!

Cost about $185...installed in 20 minutes...really simple.

Do it...you'll be amazed. I believe it dropped the bike by 1.75 inches. Means I can easily get the balls of both feet on the ground at the same time. Before that I could barely get my tip toes on the ground.

Don't forget to lower the triple trees (raise the forks) at at he same time...also re-set your sag.

If anyone tells you it will upset the overall habdling geometry...ignore them...unless you planning to be a professional level rider.

• proamature

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:56 AM

So I'm about a inch or so shorter than u, and Im far from pro. Just enjoy some trails! Another question I have is my forks are completely blown, but they don't bottom out they stop after 2 inches of travel. As if something was broke inside. Normal for blown forks?? Nvr done a pair b4

• travertt

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:43 AM

So I'm about a inch or so shorter than u, and Im far from pro. Just enjoy some trails! Another question I have is my forks are completely blown, but they don't bottom out they stop after 2 inches of travel. As if something was broke inside. Normal for blown forks?? Nvr done a pair b4

Can't say what exactly is wrong with your forks..but if it were me, I would certainly get them re-built right away at your dealer.

A lot of higher level riders get a sophisticated custom setup done on their front forks...but given the type of riding that you say you do...I wouldn't bother with that...but do get them repaired ASAP...you do not want to ride with malfunctioning forks.

You may find that with the bike lowered and the forks repaired that you will be a lot better at the riding that you do (faster/smoother/less effort) so you can keep up with your riding buddies...and will be more confident in maybe doing a little more aggressive riding on more difficult terrain.

It certainly made a huge difference for me and now I'm riding pretty good on some very tough trails and having a blast!

Good luck.

• proamature

Posted March 30, 2012 - 12:51 PM

I haven't ridden this bike yet at all. Jus got it as a project. This will be the first 4 stroke if ridden in the woods. Going from a kx250f to a 400, the bike is sittin on a bucket right now, my stepdad has rebuilt forks b4 in a couple different bikes, im jus not sure if there all alike,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.