BK Mod queston for YZThump

31 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted September 03, 2001 - 06:58 AM

G-Man,

Those pics where taken by Jaybird67k and he used 2 weedeater springs separated by a washer (hey whatever works...as long as it is a spring)! I used a 6-32 drill and tap set (i think it came with a 1/8 bit..it was $4 at home Depot) I used a matching bolt that is 1" long and found a writing pen spring that had the correct diameter to slide over the bolt (I had to go through about 5 pens to find the correct size LOL)! This is a very easy mod...whenver you take the carb off and look at it you will understand! Hope this helps,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

[This message has been edited by motoman393 (edited September 03, 2001).]

• flyinguitars

Posted September 04, 2001 - 05:04 AM

Im sold! What about you G? Im gonna try the mod this week. I'm going to the track on Sat. I'll give a report next week
Mike

• flyinguitars

Posted September 05, 2001 - 03:30 PM

What did everyone do with the black plastic (accelerator pump?) cover? Did you drill a hole just large enough to allow the mod screw to clear or did you just notch out the plastic? Not a big deal, I was just curious. When I popped off the black plastic cover I was amazed at how dirty the accelerator pump/carb internals were....by the way, my seemingly perfect running 01' 426 (stock carb settings) was getting a 4 second stream of gas everytime the throttle was twisted. I'll give a performance report after this weekend. Thanks Bk and Garrett for all the info...
Mike

• KasperMX

Posted September 05, 2001 - 04:30 PM

When you remove the cover you will notice theres a mark in the plastis where Yanaha was going to notch it out. Use a dremel tool or a round file and grind it out.

• motoman393

Posted September 05, 2001 - 05:00 PM

Yeah Kasper is right you can see where the indention is on the black cover just cut it out (it doesnt have to be perfect, mine is a triangle shape LOL) Let us know how much faster your bike is when you ride it! hehe

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• G-Man

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:52 PM

Originally posted by flyinguitars:
Im sold! What about you G? Im gonna try the mod this week. I'm going to the track on Sat. I'll give a report next week
Mike

flyinguitars,
Wow looks like you got the holeshot on me, I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow! :)

So did U just hang the carb off the side, like Garrett instructed?

Thx Guys,

------------------
Moto to Live
Live to Moto

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

G-Man

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted September 06, 2001 - 06:58 AM

G,
Since I havent removed the carb before, I took the sub frame off to get a good view of what i was up against. Once the sub frame was removed, I couldnt resist twisting the throttle and timing the squirt. After 3 twists I decided to do the mod and removed the carb but ran out of time. Tonight I plan on drilling, tapping and re-installing the carb. On Fri. I'll tweak the timing and then hopefully rip on Sat.
Mike

• G-Man

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:23 PM

WOW!!!!!

I did it and tried it down the street, INSTANT THROTTLE RESPONSE!!!!

Everything everyone says is true, it's easy and it works.

I left the jetting alone, 1.75 on the fuel screw for now.

Stock my spray DID NOT hit the slide, and the duration was about 2.8 sec. Now it's around .3 sec (kinda tricky to time).

Can't wait to get to the track and thank's MotoMan and everyone else for the tips and help.

------------------
Moto to Live
Live to Moto

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

G-Man

• motoman393

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:46 PM

LOL! Don't loop out at the track this weekend :)! The first time I rode at the track after I did the mod it was a whole new experience (little kids on 80's are even more prone to get sucked in the airbox now LOL)! Glad you like it. Later,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• forloop

Posted September 07, 2001 - 05:29 AM

I did some practice starts by my house last night. First time I really got on it in the dirt. Just too much rain lately.

This thing carries the front wheel all over the place and I was slamming the rev limiter. Before, I could tell I needed to shift. Now, I need more RPM.

I can definitly see how this could be called a cheeter bike on the start.

• Roostie_1

Posted September 07, 2001 - 01:05 PM

I too plan on trying this mod soon. Mine is an '01, but I was wondering if this mod works on '00's as well? I can't honestly remember if anyone has mentioned this.

• motoman393

Posted September 08, 2001 - 09:14 PM

Yes it works on the 00' as well! You can find all the info you need if you use the Search button on this page! And you can goto my BK Carb mod webpage!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.