2002 wr 426 sputter

4 replies to this topic
  • stokerslo

Posted March 28, 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi everyone, I have a 2002 [color="#0f72da"][color=#0f72da !important][font=inherit !important][size=1][color=#0f72da !important][font=inherit !important][size=1]wr[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/color] 426 that has always ran good. however, due to children i have let it set in the garage with old gas for approx. 1.5 yrs. I put new gas, plug, cleaned filter and squirted [color="#0f72da"][color=#0f72da !important][font=inherit !important][size=1][color=#0f72da !important][font=inherit !important][size=1]carb[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/color] cleaner in the float bowl. The problem i have is that it really hard to start and when it does start, it backfires like crazy. I rode it and opened it up for like 8 mi. but it still does the same thing, backfiring and wont idle. When it is warmed up it will only start with the hot start and the choke on. In the past, it always started without the hot start and choke when it was warmed up. Any advise on what i should do to make it run again?

• Nick777

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:00 PM

The carb probably just needs a good cleaning. Take the carb Apart and clean out all the jets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • td42ti

Posted March 29, 2012 - 02:02 AM

+1 your carb will be all gummed up.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:02 AM

Yup, A complete carb cleaning is needed. Maniac

• Joel_D1124

Posted April 01, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Good carb cleaning as suggested but also I would check the valve clearances while you're in there if they haven't been checked or adjusted in awhile, especially if you're having issues starting the bike when it's hot. improper clearances can also cause the bike to backfire.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.