'08 CRF450, good deal?

5 replies to this topic
  • Zondebok

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Wondering if this bike is a decent deal. This seems to be about the correct price point around here, and for much more used bikes than this one (assuming he isn't lying).

What kind of things should I look for to make sure that it is low hours? Going to look in a couple hours, any advice appreciated.

http://portland.crai...2923370313.html

Thanks,

Rick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMC707

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

the sprocket looks like typical OEM stuff , figure on OEM sprockets/chain lasting 20 hours and those look pretty good --- you might do an internet search and see what type of tires came stock that year --- the rear tire looks consistent with a low time machine, --- but the side cases are getting worn through ---- (some riders can rub the paint off the sidecases in 1 o 2 rides, others, like me, it takes longer. My bike has 25 hours on it and the cases look better than that -- but again, thats not an entirely accurate way to assss condition)

Price is so -so, that said, i would love to get that much for my '08 :thumbsup:
Since your on thumpertalk, you likely already know you would be buying a dinosaur since we are now well into the FI age. But this bike was preferredd to the 09 and '10 Hondas by a lot of people due to frst/2nd year teething problems.
Curiously i read the story in Dirt Rider recently about one of their pro test riders and how he hung onto his '08 until the '12s came out he liked it that much more than the 09,10,11.

• Zondebok

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well, I picked it up, and he wouldn't budge on price, but that bike is super, super clean. You can hardly tell by the sprocket that it's been ridden, no play in any of the bearings, tires look almost brand new, and are stock tires, oil and air filter looked good, and yeah, i noticed the wear on the side cover too, but I have seen enough guys do that to their new bikes near instantly that I wasn't super concerned.

Took a couple of kicks to start, but that was most likely user error, due to being a 2-stroke guy.

I was looking at FI bikes, but I just don't have the cash for ones that people liked very much, and since people seemed to like the 2008 CRF a lot, I figured with a nice clean bike, it would be worth sticking with the carb.

My other bike is a 2002 YZ250, so dinosaur or not, it still quite a lot newer than that (though I guess you could say its basically the same as a 2012 YZ250....)

Edited by Zondebok, 27 March 2012 - 06:19 PM.

• bluedawg

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

08 crf450 is a great bike but has an airfilter box from hell and that is the only thing i didnt like about mine

• Wyomingite

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Posting is gone in that link.....do you mind saying how much you had to give for it?

• DMC707

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

My other bike is a 2002 YZ250, so dinosaur or not, it still quite a lot newer than that (though I guess you could say its basically the same as a 2012 YZ250....)

My '09 YZF is in the "dino zone" too -- but i still love it. glad the Honda was as advertised, it should be an awesome scooter :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Burning Oil After Rebuild by Silent Echo

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Idea's to De-tune or Tone Down CR85RB by jester125

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Yamaha WR250F Vs. Honda CRF250X by james06

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2003 Yamaha YZ250 2 Stroke Diagnosis Help! by BrandonTMeharg

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.