Xr600 question, I know many of you would know this.

2 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 18, 2001 - 10:16 PM

Many of us had no choice, before the wr400 there was of course the Xr600, I only keep it for a buddy bike and dual sport, so dont worry I havent gone to the other side. BUT can anyone tell me how high to run the forks in the clamps. I have it set at 5mm and it still turns horribly, front end doesnt feel planted, wants to wash out. I have the SRC fork brace, and their instructions cautioned about bottoming to hard and pushing the fork brace into the wheel and causing catastrophic injuries to your face. And therefore not to put the fork up any higher than the five mils, and yes I have cut out the sides on the front fender. Thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailguy

Posted April 19, 2001 - 05:47 AM

My first questions would be, is the front tire suited for the terrain your running on, hard pack or soft? Air pressure in the tire, 13-15 lbs. The forks do make a differance, but allways look at all of the pertaining parameters involved. Just a suggestion.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 19, 2001 - 07:59 AM

Thats the boggling thing the suspension set up can make a big difference too.
But yes I have a fresh 739 on it and the suspension in the rear is set to stock/clymer manual setting (preload). I seem to get better input with the compression in the rear cranked up, most likely putting for pressure on the front.
The bike also has a non stock rear spring and I have no idea what it is, although it seems to be ok for my weight.
The easiest thing to solve the problem was buy the WR, but my buddy rides it and reports what I remember that the front end was scary on gravel roads.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.