Leftover WR450F - Price?!

9 replies to this topic
  • BreckBuzz

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hey guys,

So I'm going down to a dealer in Denver in a couple of days that has A LOT of leftover inventory from 2009-2011. I'm not sure if this is because they're not budging on their prices or if they get all the unsold bikes from all the other dealers in Colorado (since they're right by the biggest MX track).

I'm looking to buy a leftover 2009 WR450F.... Thing is, they have it listed at $7,499 which sounds like a load of crap to me. How much do you think I can talk them down? Note* I will be paying in CASH.

Since I will have to fork out the extra cash to make it street legal after the purchase (was originally in the market for a used, already titled WR), I was hoping to get it for around $5,000. Am I dreaming? Or do you think they'd jump on 5g's in cash?

I saw another dealer had a leftover (possibly demo) 2011 WR450F for 6g's... Could I use that to talk them down?

Thanks for any input!!!!

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:42 PM

just paid $5k OTD for a new 2009 model

edit: that was last april. a year ago.

Edited by The Hopper Show, March 26, 2012 - 04:43 PM.

• BreckBuzz

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:12 PM

just paid $5k OTD for a new 2009 model

edit: that was last april. a year ago.

HELLLLL YES! Thank you, that's great news! I'll start low and go up from there.

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:43 AM

In Feb I paid $4200 + tax for my 08 WR450F.

The dealer knocked it down to $5000 and Yamaha threw in $800 cash back.

Couldn't be happier!!

Almost $2000 worth of mods later and it's my dream bike.

• BreckBuzz

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:56 AM

In Feb I paid $4200 + tax for my 08 WR450F.

The dealer knocked it down to $5000 and Yamaha threw in $800 cash back.

Couldn't be happier!!

Almost $2000 worth of mods later and it's my dream bike.

Awesome, great news!!! I figured this dealer is going to want to get rid of these 09's. Nothing like some cold hard cash to get yourself a ridiculous deal. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taxgod4u

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:09 AM

last month i picked up a new 2011 for 5,850 after all the discounts + tax & dmv

• SilvFx

Posted March 27, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hey guys,

So I'm going down to a dealer in Denver in a couple of days that has A LOT of leftover inventory from 2009-2011. I'm not sure if this is because they're not budging on their prices or if they get all the unsold bikes from all the other dealers in Colorado (since they're right by the biggest MX track).

I'm looking to buy a leftover 2009 WR450F.... Thing is, they have it listed at $7,499 which sounds like a load of crap to me. How much do you think I can talk them down? Note* I will be paying in CASH.

Since I will have to fork out the extra cash to make it street legal after the purchase (was originally in the market for a used, already titled WR), I was hoping to get it for around $5,000. Am I dreaming? Or do you think they'd jump on 5g's in cash?

I saw another dealer had a leftover (possibly demo) 2011 WR450F for 6g's... Could I use that to talk them down?

Thanks for any input!!!!

I see the 2011 one you are talking about for $6G's.....looks brand new to me (Boulder dealer). A demo would have some wear on the cases. I wouldnt waste my time with the dealer you are talking about trying to get them down from $7500 to $6000 or less for a '09 when you could get an '11 right now for $6000.

The part I always find curious about dealers is many will hang on to a bike for years refusing to sell it since they would then take a 'loss' on the bike. What they dont realize is the loss in market value has already occurred and continues to occur regardless of whether they sell it. It's just with a sale, it has to be recognized from accounting treatment and mentally acknowledged by the dealer.

Breck...i really think you should look for a used WR450F or KLX450F. Just had a buddy sell a 200 mile '08 KLX450F for $3800. There are plenty of other KLXs ranging from $4000-$4500 for '08 and '09s. WR450's are somewhat slim pickings right now, but the deals will come along.

There is also a new GasGas dealer in Colorado Springs (in Old Colorado City) that had multiple 2011 250's and 300's for sale from $5800-$6400. He may have moved some of these by now, but worth checking on.

• BreckBuzz

Posted March 27, 2012 - 09:40 AM

I see the 2011 one you are talking about for $6G's.....looks brand new to me (Boulder dealer). A demo would have some wear on the cases. I wouldnt waste my time with the dealer you are talking about trying to get them down from $7500 to $6000 or less for a '09 when you could get an '11 right now for $6000.

The part I always find curious about dealers is many will hang on to a bike for years refusing to sell it since they would then take a 'loss' on the bike. What they dont realize is the loss in market value has already occurred and continues to occur regardless of whether they sell it. It's just with a sale, it has to be recognized from accounting treatment and mentally acknowledged by the dealer.

Breck...i really think you should look for a used WR450F or KLX450F. Just had a buddy sell a 200 mile '08 KLX450F for $3800. There are plenty of other KLXs ranging from $4000-$4500 for '08 and '09s. WR450's are somewhat slim pickings right now, but the deals will come along.

There is also a new GasGas dealer in Colorado Springs (in Old Colorado City) that had multiple 2011 250's and 300's for sale from $5800-$6400. He may have moved some of these by now, but worth checking on.

I'm a college kid and 5g's is the very most I can spend right now. I've definitely been checking out Craigslist for used... There's been a few titled WR's which is promising. I just found these leftover 09's and the thought of getting a brand new bike off the floor for a steal sounds super fun. I'm going to go down there with cash in hand and stay solid with my price. I'm young and I've never gotten to buy anything like this new in my life. I figured it be cool to go down there and push my weight around for the first time for some good life experience hahah! The worst that can happen is I walk out without a bike (and a little less pride). It's worth a go! I'm buddies with the guys at Silverthorne Powersports and they've given me some tricks and tips to get them to budge. If they don't take it, I'll definitely be going back to used. It would be nice to get a bike that is already titled... Which is what I was looking for in the first place. Luckily I've gone with my dad to buy new cars a few times as a teen. He always brought cash and taught me a bit about haggling. We'll see how it goes!

Edited by BreckBuzz, March 27, 2012 - 10:02 AM.

• SilvFx

Posted March 27, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Breck, don't forget that when buying new you will have sales tax collected on the transaction. If you decide to plate the bike (whether you buy new or used they will get you for sales tax at dealer or at county clerk). So, even if you get them down to $5K....you will still have about $350-$380 for sales tax, etc. You will also need to add a brake light switch, brake light mods (I believe it only comes with a taillight that can be easily modded to add the brake light function), horn, mirror and DOT tires to be able to make that WR450F street legal and get a title/plate.

Dont know much about the new bike sales business, but frankly the only guys that care about cash are private party sellers, who might need it. Car dealers and (likely) motorcycle dealers can make more money on a deal that might include financing and some type of incentive from the financing agent for steering the customer to that finance company. As long as they are paid by you and/or the finance company combined, there is no extra value to them for an all cash customer.

As far as maybe going after a used bike that are already titled, that may help you save some money, but you will still need to have that equipment to be compliant or you could be ticketed (perhaps not a big risk or concern for you). My only point is the value of the a bike already plated (titled) is only in the equipment that remains on the bike to make it compliant. Plating a bike in Colorado is not that hard, but is somewhat of a hassle to ensure it has the required equipment and it works properly and then to get inspected.

Your out of pocket cost to plate a bike (even if it comes with a title already) is motorcycle insurance (usually about $100 per year) plus the sales tax on the transaction (you can only avoid this if you buy from private party and you never plate it), and licensing fees ($75-$100 per year), If it doesnt already have a title, you would have the incremental cost of the equipment to bring it into compliance, and the cost of CSP inspection ($20). To the extent that someone has titlled the bike already (i.e. plated it) and the equipment remains on the bike, you will only "save" that money used for equipment compliance. So....greatest potential savings from buying a titled or plated bike:

Brakelight switch $15
Horn Kit $30-$50
DOT Tires $100
Mirror $15
License Plate Bracket $15
CSP Inspection $20
Hassle factor $value

or about $200-$215 of hard dollars if the equipment remains on the bike when you buy it from the seller. Just trying to give you information on the 'market value' of a titled/plated bike. I see a lot of people who seemingly are asking up to $500 more than market value just because it is plated...but the real value is only worth the price of extra equipment added to make it compliant.

Good luck....hope the dealers are hungry and you can get them close to your acceptable price.

• BreckBuzz

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Breck, don't forget that when buying new you will have sales tax collected on the transaction. If you decide to plate the bike (whether you buy new or used they will get you for sales tax at dealer or at county clerk). So, even if you get them down to $5K....you will still have about $350-$380 for sales tax, etc. You will also need to add a brake light switch, brake light mods (I believe it only comes with a taillight that can be easily modded to add the brake light function), horn, mirror and DOT tires to be able to make that WR450F street legal and get a title/plate.

Dont know much about the new bike sales business, but frankly the only guys that care about cash are private party sellers, who might need it. Car dealers and (likely) motorcycle dealers can make more money on a deal that might include financing and some type of incentive from the financing agent for steering the customer to that finance company. As long as they are paid by you and/or the finance company combined, there is no extra value to them for an all cash customer.

As far as maybe going after a used bike that are already titled, that may help you save some money, but you will still need to have that equipment to be compliant or you could be ticketed (perhaps not a big risk or concern for you). My only point is the value of the a bike already plated (titled) is only in the equipment that remains on the bike to make it compliant. Plating a bike in Colorado is not that hard, but is somewhat of a hassle to ensure it has the required equipment and it works properly and then to get inspected.

Your out of pocket cost to plate a bike (even if it comes with a title already) is motorcycle insurance (usually about $100 per year) plus the sales tax on the transaction (you can only avoid this if you buy from private party and you never plate it), and licensing fees ($75-$100 per year), If it doesnt already have a title, you would have the incremental cost of the equipment to bring it into compliance, and the cost of CSP inspection ($20). To the extent that someone has titlled the bike already (i.e. plated it) and the equipment remains on the bike, you will only "save" that money used for equipment compliance. So....greatest potential savings from buying a titled or plated bike:

Brakelight switch $15
Horn Kit $30-$50
DOT Tires $100
Mirror $15
License Plate Bracket $15
CSP Inspection $20
Hassle factor $value

or about $200-$215 of hard dollars if the equipment remains on the bike when you buy it from the seller. Just trying to give you information on the 'market value' of a titled/plated bike. I see a lot of people who seemingly are asking up to $500 more than market value just because it is plated...but the real value is only worth the price of extra equipment added to make it compliant.

Good luck....hope the dealers are hungry and you can get them close to your acceptable price.

Thanks man. It's been a long time coming to get a street legal bike so I have all the numbers. I wanted to be prepared when the time came. If I went down to that dealer, after hearing what others have gotten, I would definitely be going for less than $5, which would leave me extra cash for the other fees. This bike will mainly be used for connecting trails and riding on trails that allow "street legal" bikes only, so I'm not too worried about getting stopped or pulled over. A used titled bike would simply be saving me from having to buy the (useless to me) DOT tires. I'm not too worried about whether they still have them on or not. (Though I would have the other obvious accessories - Brake light hooked up, horn, folding mirror). I've definitely found a few good deals on titled WR's... Seems like maybe people just want to sell in this bad economy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.