Front brake won't grab

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ45oF

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi all,
I just bought a used 2006 YZ450F. The brakes never grabbed like I think they're supposed to since I got it. I bled the old fluid and put some fresh in and the lever feels better, but the brake still doesn't grab like I think it should. The lever felt kinda mushy before I changed fluid, I guess how a lever would feel if the line had air or water in it. Now it feels nice and solid. I've been out of riding for the past 10 years and I used to have a YZ125. That sucker had some brakes that would lock the front tire no matter the riding surface (including concrete which could be bad if you know what i mean). Now, the 450 had a fork seal leak when I got it, and I'm thinking that maybe some shock fluid got on the rotor or pads or both, but it seems like that wouldn't affect the brake's performance very long to me, but I'm probably wrong. I was told to check the rotor and pads for glazing, and I'm gonna check that when I get home from work
Any idea what else could be wrong?
Thanks ahead of time for any help!

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Install a set of genuine Honda brake pads for an '06 CRF450. Should do it for you.

• YZ45oF

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thanks grayracer, that did the trick!
At first I thought you were pulling my leg, then I googled something along the lines of crf450 brake pads yz450f and discovered that you weren't pulling my leg lol. Them suckers bite now!!!!!! Stop wheelies FTW!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RasmusDK

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Is it the same pads for yz400f ?

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not sure. If the pads for the 400 are the same as for the '06 YZ450, then yes, they will work.

• RasmusDK

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:32 PM

:thumbsup: They fit =)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.