bigger pilot?

4 replies to this topic
  • blaze

Posted August 26, 2001 - 06:01 PM

im in the process of dialing in my jetting, and i was told i should richen my pilot if i am leaning my main jet. what do you think?-thanks

• Hick

Posted August 27, 2001 - 04:06 AM

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you want jetting tips, post your bike model and year, conditions (alt. & temp.) and your impression of how it runs now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blaze

Posted August 27, 2001 - 07:05 AM

my bike is a 2001 yz 426, my altitude is 8000 ft. temp is around 70. the bikes bottom end is not respnsive. when you get on the gas it breaks up. any help is much appreciated. thanks-alex

• Scott_F

Posted August 27, 2001 - 07:32 AM

Sounds like a prime candidate for the BK mod.

• ricky1

Posted August 27, 2001 - 08:23 AM

Well, so far this is the best it has been.
Pilot: #38 @ 1 1/2 out
Needle: EJR clip #2
Main: #162
Acc. Pump Duration: One full turn out from .3 seconds
I made the last adjustment to the acc. pump on the trail, so I was not able to time it.

I am not the best tester, but I can't tell you how many corners I overshot on yesterdays ride. I have a 30 mile loop out my back door that I do 3-5 times a week, and I know every inch very well. Coming out of several corners I found myself panic braking to make the next turn. The same ammount of throttle for the same ammount of time (as yesterday) resulted in much more acceleration.
Once or twice I wicked it wide open instantly from a very low rpm. This resulted in a pop through the carb, then instant acceleration. That is when I added the extra turn out (more fuel) on the acc. pump. That seems to have cured the pop, but I did not really test it thoroughly.
I feel I still need to do a bit more fine tuning, but now it truly is awsome.
I might want to try the EKR, Where does it end?
Important notes; all testing done at 7-8000ft, '01 yz426 with Big Gun SDS (single,dual,single) pipe. Big gun claims this pipe makes 1 full HP more than thier others at the bottom.

After I made the above post I rode at 2,500-4000ft, with only 1/4 turn out on the pilot screw. Ran like a raped ape. I had 2 others ride it and both commented on how "crisp" the throttle was.

Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.