Thinking out loud, 426, lights

4 replies to this topic
  • Cooter69

Posted March 25, 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have a 01 YZ426F and I would like to install a light on it. I have read around about doing a WR crank or having a battery to run the light. Yet, what if I go with this light http://trailtech.net...light_kits.html and put a voltage regulator on it to not over extend the factory 35 watt system. I just need some type of light for riding back to camp when the sun is setting and such. I do not mind it will get dim at idle and crusing around. Just looking to have some sort of light output cheaply. I have the light from a previous ride and it just sits. Wanted to ask before I tear into it and mess something up. Also what all would I need besides the regulator and a on/off switch?

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2012 - 03:40 PM

You can't run lights off a totally stock YZ426 stator. You can get yours rewound to "try" to support 35w of power, or use the stator and flywheel from a WR426 or WR400. Changing the crank is only necessary with the 450's. You would have to do a floating ground modification to the stator, but that's easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cooter69

Posted March 25, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Whew! You happen to know of were I could find a stator besides an OEM one? I looked on ebay and nothing. Guess I will look for one or just sack up and buy a OEM one. http://shop.thumpert...2001&model=6311 I would need part ref. number 1 and 2? Also by doing this then could I support a 55 watt HID?

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Yes, #'s 1 & 2. You'll also need to perform this little bit of surgery:

http://www.thumperta...52#post10674552

Not sure what the total available wattage of the unit is in stock form, but it should support the light. Understand, though, that to use an HID, you'll need a rectifier, regulator, and a battery. HID's have require a major amount of current to start them up, and they have a minimum operating voltage, so if they drop below that at idle, they go out and need to be re-lit.

• Cooter69

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:15 PM

That surgery seems doable! From reading around says 120 watts :thumbsup: I know I will need the rectifier and regulator. You really think I will need a battery too? If I do need a battery I will just throw the halogen light on. Give me a month or two and I will have pics of the bike all done! Only thing missing is a light, has every damn bolt on part and then some on it LOL.

Edit, halogen light it is! I will need a battery so HID is a no go, oh well. That is what the two 8" ones on my quad are for LOL.

Edited by Cooter69, March 26, 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.