COOLANT RESERVIOR TANK ON WR450

10 replies to this topic
  • BUZZMAN4177

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:38 AM

...in trying to abide by the rules, I have done a couple of searches and as usual can not find what I need to know. I just purchased a 05 WR450 this weekend...the bike is used but looks to be in really good shape. I just noticed that the coolant reservior tank is missing...so I e-mailed the owner and he informed me that it was removed when he got it back in 05 to get rid of any extra weight, and that the bike has never run hot. My question is...is this ok or do I need to buy one and put it back on the bike. Thanks in advance!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2012 - 04:14 PM

It depends on where and how you ride. If you find yourself losing enough coolant to have to top off during the middle of a ride, or if you loose too much... then get one. I think you will find them on ebay.

There are times when I've ridden my bike and I don't have to refill the coolant for several rides. Then there's the one technical ride where I have to add about another 6-10 oz., which is about what's visible in the overflow tank.

I have one of those small water bottles with coolant that I keep with me when I ride in remote areas (often). I haven't had the need to to open this bottle except for the one time my water pump seal went out and leaked me coolant all over the ground. I'm not saying my bike has never spit coolant, because it has. I'm saying that topping off the coolant when I top off the gas tank has worked out well for me.

Keep your engine heat down, stay off the clutch. I do this by making sure I am geared appropriately. You won't loose coolant excessively.

• VinceDC

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:02 PM

i agree with all that was said above.I will add that another option is a high pressure cap.I have thought of removing the tank myself and putting a 1.4 cap on it to prevent boil over. The more speed you carry to push air thought the radiatiors the less of an issue this will be.Personally I boil mine over about eight to ten times a year. Just did last week.

• Sprblkxx

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Any one had success with the super coolants?

• still2smokin

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:49 PM

This brings to mind maybe a dumb question..... what is the resevoir tank there for ?
Since it has no way of delivering coolant back to the radiator, is It just to keep radiator fluid
from dripping down on to mother earth for green sticker/EPA regs ?
Maybe I just dont see how coolant could return to the radiator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BUZZMAN4177

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sprblkxx...what "super coolants" are you speaking of? Gentlemen, thank you for taking a moment to respond to my question!! :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:41 PM

This brings to mind maybe a dumb question..... what is the resevoir tank there for ?
Since it has no way of delivering coolant back to the radiator, is It just to keep radiator fluid
from dripping down on to mother earth for green sticker/EPA regs ?
Maybe I just dont see how coolant could return to the radiator.

It holds the coolant so that it can go back to the radiator.

Radiator heats up and the pressure pushes back the spring on the cap allowing the coolant to escape. When the radiator cools, a vacuum is created which sucks the coolant back into the radiator. The radiator cap allows the fluids to move back and forth. It works just like your car.

• still2smokin

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thats what I thought but if pressure is bulit inside the radiator from heat with enough force to push
up the spring on the pressure cap how could the zero pressure resivoir force liquid past the
escaping pressure out of the cap .

Not tyring to argue, just not getting it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thats what I thought but if pressure is bulit inside the radiator from heat with enough force to push
up the spring on the pressure cap how could the zero pressure resivoir force liquid past the
escaping pressure out of the cap .

Not tyring to argue, just not getting it.

No problems with asking. That's how things are figured out.

Heat in the radiator creates pressure. The pressure causes the coolant to expand and exit via the radiator cap. BUt, when it cools, it creates a vacuum with almost as much pressure that the heat created. The vacuum created by the cooler radiator sucks the coolant back in.

• still2smokin

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Sorry to OP did not mean to highjack....

so I guess the over flow hose is just close enuff to the sealing surface of the cap to allow a slow seep from
the res tube under vacum in the radiator when cooling even tho the spring is pushing to keep the seal closed.
Posted Image

• Tungtran

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:35 AM

I always mark the level of the coolant in my 08 wr450. It really suck the coolant back to the radiator when the bike cold. Hard to believe but it works.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.