2005 WR450 QUESTIONS...

4 replies to this topic
  • BUZZMAN4177

Posted March 24, 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hello,
After being a lurker here for a very long time, I finally took the notion and purchased a nice, clean, 2005 WR450 today!! The bike is obviously used but appears to have been well taken care of. The previous owner has already done the free mods which is good. The bike was rode in tight woods and the plastics shows. After doing some research I still have a few questions...if you guys don't mind???

* where in the world is the best place to buy a complete set of plastics for this bike along with decals?

* I would like to put some type of frame guards on the bike as the powdercoat has been worn off near the pegs......I kinda like the type that comes on the new Husquvarna dirtbikes... they look decent but very simple....any ideas?

* the brake pads are still the original but still have pad left....leave them or replace them?

I am new to four-strokes coming from a two stroke background so I am kinda learning as I go. This bike is a beast and will run with any two stroke I have ever ridden!!! Thanks in advance for any info and advice guys and girls !!! TM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 24, 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hello,
After being a lurker here for a very long time, I finally took the notion and purchased a nice, clean, 2005 WR450 today!! The bike is obviously used but appears to have been well taken care of. The previous owner has already done the free mods which is good. The bike was rode in tight woods and the plastics shows. After doing some research I still have a few questions...if you guys don't mind???

* where in the world is the best place to buy a complete set of plastics for this bike along with decals?

* I would like to put some type of frame guards on the bike as the powdercoat has been worn off near the pegs......I kinda like the type that comes on the new Husquvarna dirtbikes... they look decent but very simple....any ideas?

* the brake pads are still the original but still have pad left....leave them or replace them?

I am new to four-strokes coming from a two stroke background so I am kinda learning as I go. This bike is a beast and will run with any two stroke I have ever ridden!!! Thanks in advance for any info and advice guys and girls !!! TM.

Welcome to the party.

You can find a set of acerbis plastic on ebay.

Also look on ebay for graphics. Personally, I only put graphics on the radiator shrouds because the bike looks just fine without overdoing it. The other stuff will get damaged pretty easily when you fall.

Frame guards... you can get the stainless steel ones from works connection. I don't see many choices out there. Keep in mind though, that the frame above the foot peg will show some wear from the boots as well. Get your self a roll of teflon tape and just wrap it. Then you can just change the tape every couple of months if you need to.

Have fun with the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BUZZMAN4177

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the reply MauriceDorris. Are the acerbis plastic kits ok....how do they compare to stock plastic? I rode the WR around at the owners place prior to buying it and all I can say is....WOW!!! That bike rips. I am very happy with it's power compared to my Honda CR 250R!!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the reply MauriceDorris. Are the acerbis plastic kits ok....how do they compare to stock plastic? I rode the WR around at the owners place prior to buying it and all I can say is....WOW!!! That bike rips. I am very happy with it's power compared to my Honda CR 250R!!

yes, that plastic is good. You may have to trim it a little here or there as you realize your subframe may be a little tweaked (example). But that would happen with any plastic.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Your results may vary, but I find that the brake pads will last a long time, as I use the engine braking more than the rear brake anyhow. Welcome to the club! Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.