WR to YZ???

8 replies to this topic
  • Gordingull

Posted October 14, 2003 - 12:27 PM

I have a WR450 and I'm wondering if I should change to YZ. I have been riding for 2 years now but I have never participated in a competition. I'm going to participate in the enduro events in my country (Iceland) next year and I whan't to go for motocross to. I ride most trails and the only motocross track I have been to is a track that hasn't been fixed for a long time and the top of the jumps are so bad that I can hardly jump on them so I don't have experience in motocross. I really like the WR and if it's a good motocrosser I would like to keep it. So... what do you guys think I should do??? (sorry if the spelling is bad)

• Gordingull

Posted October 14, 2003 - 12:55 PM

sorry but I said I really liked the WR, I meant I really LOVE it. But like I said, I don't have the motocross experience :)

• holeshot426

Posted October 14, 2003 - 03:43 PM

You might post in the YZ forum to see if someone bites over there.

• tctrailrider

Posted October 14, 2003 - 03:53 PM

[QUOTE]
I'm going to participate in the enduro events in my country (Iceland) next year and I whan't to go for motocross to. I ride most trails and the only motocross track I have been to is a track that hasn't been fixed for a long time and the top of the jumps are so bad that I can hardly jump on them so I don't have experience in

The WR will be better in the woods and the YZF better on the track. It all depends on where you will be spending your time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MiniMadMan50

Posted October 14, 2003 - 07:31 PM

I myself am going to a YZ. Either a 250F, or I'm contemplating a CRF450. I just don't have the brass to ride a YZ450F. My WR426 is about all I can handle, power and weight wise. I do NOT recommend riding the WR on a MX track. I made that mistake once. It's just way way way way way way too heavy for the track. :) On the trail, it can't be beat :D

• oldbones

Posted October 15, 2003 - 07:23 AM

Maybe just cause I don't ride any light bikes to compare it too, but I just got home from a weekend on the MX track with my WR, and had a blast. Don't get me wrong, if you wanna break into MX and go after the big guns, then you need an MX bike... But, I guarantee that in most amatuer and sportsman class races, almost all of the seperation at the finish line is due to rider ability, and bike selection has much less to do with it. Take that really fast guy at the track and swith bikes with him, he will still wax your ass... I say take it to the track, learn what's going on out there and have a good time. If after a while you get better, and feel like the bike is starting to hold you back, then that is the time to think about the YZ...

• dubious

Posted October 17, 2003 - 03:06 AM

I've moto'd mine and its great but I wouldn't have considered doing with stock suspension. The mods I've made changed the machine to a totally different animal. If parts are available and aren't to pricey you should consider the cost of modifiing the WR compared to buying a new YZ. For trail riding you might hate the 4spd tranny of the YZ. In addition to the mods in my signature, I changed my gearing from 14-50 to 13-50 for moto. Never used 1 st gear on the track. 2nd gear starts and 5 th gear was still faster than the YZ in 4th on top end speed. :)

• Gordingull

Posted October 20, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm holding that thought for a year or two. Would you guys recomend the YZ fuel tank and seat mod?

• DesertChris

Posted October 20, 2003 - 12:45 PM

The YZ tank and seat was for '02 and older models. The '03 WR has a good tank/seat trasition.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.