Petcock: off isn't "off"

2 replies to this topic
  • cage

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hey, I discovered that the gas still flows even when in the Off position on my WR426. Would a gasket rebuild kit from K&l (eBay) fix this issue or is there something else causing the problem? Thanks for tips/advice you can give!!!!!!

Edit: I should mention that there' s no gas leaking anywhere, just not shutting off......

Edited by cage, March 24, 2012 - 03:40 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nuckingfutts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'm not familiar the the ebay brand k&i, but short answer is yes. I have and xs750, which is notorious for the vacuum operated petcocks leaking, and gas getting into crankcase..bad. Chances are the rubber inside the petcock is somewhat deteriorated. A good cleaning and rebuild kit should make it good as new. If your float is doing what it is supposed to do, no harm, but if the float overfills, you will be leaking gas into the cyclinder, which will end up in the crankcase. Give the oil a "sniff test" and see if it smeels like gas. If it does, you need to change the oil after fixing your leaky petcock.

• cage

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Nothing's leaking anywhere at all, but I suspect the PO probably left the petcock on "on" for a few years, things dried up etc., leading to my current issue. Think I'll order the gasket kit unless someone else chimes in with a solution?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.