Second set wheels recommendations?

7 replies to this topic
  • ChillyKTM

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Need to get a second set of complete wheels, any suggestions without breaking the bank ? For my 2011 450

• Mutley53

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:52 PM

If you are ok with silver rims, I'd go with the Yamaha wheel kits. They seem reasonably priced ($286 front, $440 rear, from RMATV, better prices can likely be found. They would obviously be OEM quality (which seems good to me) and includes brake rotors and all bearings and spacers.

• Smokeslider

Posted March 26, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ive picked up an extra rear and front off of Ebay. Believe it or not, the front I picked up for $0.99 plus shipping. Both wheels were is ok condition and worked fine for a backup set for races. If you have the time, keep an eye on Ebay. Seems there are plenty of Yamaha owners that want to sell their stuff. If you compare to Honda, the Honda boys still seem to think their wheels are gold on Ebay.

• bg10459

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:18 PM

I would / did build a set with OEM hubs and Excel rims. You can buy all the parts new for less than $650, not including rotors and sprockets, but you'd need those with aftermarket rims anyway. If you're patient and search around, you can do it for much less. Otherwise, you can get something like DNA or Warp 9 wheels for about $6-700 a set, but I think they're both heavier than stock. Short of that, you might be able to steal a used set off ebay :thumbsup:

You can see the wheels I built if you come to LIMX on Sunday and I can show you how it's done if you bring the parts. They're absolutely gorgeous, with blue powdercoated hubs and black rims, but I'm sure they'll never look so good again after I put a few laps on them....

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by bg10459, March 28, 2012 - 07:57 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2012 - 06:52 AM

... you can get something like DNA or Warp 9 wheels for about $6-700 a set, but I think they're both heavier than stock.

Neither one is as high quality as OEM either. You did pretty good with the new parts.

• APlusAutoParts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:09 AM

i have heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the dna rims bending i would avoid them there is a reason you can buy a set of complete front and rear rims for 600 to 700

• mikedabike

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:40 PM

If you are ok with silver rims, I'd go with the Yamaha wheel kits. They seem reasonably priced ($286 front, $440 rear, from RMATV, better prices can likely be found. They would obviously be OEM quality (which seems good to me) and includes brake rotors and all bearings and spacers.

I thought this was BS until I checked it out. I was under the impression the factory wheels were ridiculous like a lot of OEM stuff. Can't beat that for the price including rotors.

• bg10459

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:46 AM

I thought this was BS until I checked it out. I was under the impression the factory wheels were ridiculous like a lot of OEM stuff. Can't beat that for the price including rotors.

Wow, I missed those the first time I checked. I didn't realize Yamaha had wheel kits listed on the parts fiche. They only show up on the newer parts lists, but that is a pretty good deal :thumbsup:

Front wheel kit '02-'11 - 5XC-W2519-L0-00
Rear wheel kit '09-'12 - 33D-W2539-00-00

Edited by bg10459, March 29, 2012 - 07:02 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.