Anyone ever use DP clutch kit?

4 replies to this topic
  • hoffman910

Posted March 21, 2012 - 04:09 PM

I just put a Dp kit in my 09 yz450f and it seems to be slipping at full throttle under heavy load. I've already tried flipping the metal plates the opposite direction( I do have them all the same way). It seems ok until it gets hot, then it slips and I have more free play the I originally set it to. I got 75 hrs out of my stock plates and springs before I noticed ANY slipping. Anybody have any similiar issues? Any help would be appreciated, wanna get something figured out before racing this weekend!

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Outside of Hinson and GYT-R, I don't trust anything but OEM clutch plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hoffman910

Posted March 23, 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just shelled out another $150 (which was actually $65 less than the DP) for a Yamaha kit. Left a message with DP so hopefully they can refund my kit or something

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm not speaking for DP in any way, but clutches have always been a tough one, warranty-wise. Clutches and brakes are usually covered against wear for a very short time if at all. The thing is that there's such a big difference in service life between clutches that are abused and those that are aren't, even if they're used hard, and the debate is always over what the meaning of "reasonable" is.

Besides riding styles, they also have no control over the installation process. Adjusting the cable linkages correctly and keeping them that way is extremely important. I wouldn't expect them to stand behind it, but there's no harm in asking.

• hoffman910

Posted March 24, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Well I've put a few in already, not too difficult (although I snapped a bolt putting the new oem one in, lol) even made sure all the metal plates all faced the same way. I even put a new cable on just to be sure it wasn't frayed somewhere I couldn't see. It just never felt right from the start. I rode 2 practices and one race day on it hoping it just had to break in or something, but it only got worse. I had it apart twice this week to try flipping the plates but made no difference. It was fine til id be riding for over 10 minutes or so then I could just feel that the pull wasn't matching the rpm's. So I'd say I have about 2.5 hours on the Dp's, I called DP and left a message. I saw a thread that had their number and said they have great customer service so I figured it's worth a shot since it cost me an extra $250 by buying that first. I guess all the people who wrote up the good reviews don't run them in 450's? I talked to a fellow racer who had the same issue, unfortunately it wasn't prior to buying!!! Oem kit solved the problem, now I just gotta improve on my last place A class debut tomorrow! Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.