Fork Quick Compression Adjusters Installed

5 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:47 AM

I had been looking for a compression adjuster knob for my 2006 WR450 for a while, but they all seemed to only work for the YZ SS forks. I got to the point where I was designing my own in SolidWorks and was going to CNC them until I found these. They aren't made for the WR either, but with MINIMAL tweaking they fit like a glove. They were $29.99 from SDI which is a great value when compared to similar items from other companies for closer to $80. I ordered them up assuming they would come with the knobs, bolts, drill bit with a stop set at the proper depth, tap, and a locating device so that you drill the hole prefectly in the center of the existing compression bolt. I assumed all this because it was stated in their installation video on their home page.

http://www.suspensio...gi?display=home (you have to make a account to see most of the stuff on their site which is dumb, but it only takes a minute).

I got the package a few days after ordering and was disappointed to find only the knobs and bolts inside. I called SDI and they told me that they don't include the drill, tap or locating device anymore because it cost them too much and they weren't making any money. I complained saying that it explicitly states on the video on your site they they are included. They took a look at the video real quick and said they would make some changes on their site and would overnight me the parts since it was their mistake (now, when ordering the compression knobs there is a note for a different part number to order if you want the drill, tap and locator).

A few more days go by and I get the second box with the tools I need. Unfortunately, the locator device didn't do me any good as the extruded cylinder meant to set down on top of the recessed compression adjuster bolt is a larger diameter than the bolt its self (for the WR anyways).

Also, the extrusion on the bottom of the knobs meant to fit in the flathead slot of the compression adjuster bolts was too wide (again, meant for a larger diameter bolt), but a quick attack with a dremmel cutoff wheel took care of that.

I just drilled the holes free hand which had me a little nervous because if I was off too much I would end up drilling a hole through the side of the bolt and ruin the $100+ fork cap. The drilling and tapping went well thankfully. However, the 8mm drill and tap depth they specify wasn't enough to get the knobs tight as the bolt was bottoming out on the end of the tapped hole instead of on the knob. I added some lock washers (probably a good idea anyways) and that solved the problem.

Now I can adjust my compression in just a few seconds with no tools at trail intersections waiting for the others to catch up. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Drilling out and tapping the stock bolt.

Posted Image
Modifying the SDI knob extrusion to fit into my smaller diameter bolt slot.

Posted Image
Side by side comparison.

Posted Image
Useless locator device.

Posted Image
New SDI bolt to thread into tapped stock bolt with my lock washer.

Posted Image
One on!

Posted Image
Compression at softest setting (tallest possible point, hope my bars will still fit). The adjusters add about 5mm of height.

Posted Image
Both on! They are very smooth to click, can't wait to try them this weekend!

Got new bars and clamps in the mail today (Easton 1 38" bars). I'll add some pics and report back once I get them installed.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 20, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Good work there. But.. how often are you changing your compression?

The important question is... on the 06 wr450 forks, isn't that the rebound adjustment on the top? Just sayin... I have an 05, when I want to change my compression when on a ride, I stop, break out my screw driver, kneel on the ground and reach on the bottom of my forks looking for the compression adjustment screw.

The picture you have labeled "compression at is softest setting" is really, rebound with the least amount of dampening. If I did that, my front end would push a lot.

There's a reason why you can't really find compression adjustment knobs for open chamber forks. Please... put the drill down.

Do you even have enough space between your bars and the top of your forks for those knobs? You must have tall bar risers.

I hope you know what you're doing here...

Edited by mauricedorris, March 20, 2012 - 12:15 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2012 - 12:55 PM

I had been looking for a compression adjuster knob for my 2006 WR450 for a while, but they all seemed to only work for the YZ SS forks. I got to the point where I was designing my own in SolidWorks and was going to CNC them until I found these. They aren't made for the WR either, but with MINIMAL tweaking they fit like a glove. They were $29.99 from SDI which is a great value when compared to similar items from other companies for closer to $80. I ordered them up assuming they would come with the knobs, bolts, drill bit with a stop set at the proper depth, tap, and a locating device so that you drill the hole prefectly in the center of the existing compression bolt. I assumed all this because it was stated in their installation video on their home page.

http://www.suspensio...gi?display=home (you have to make a account to see most of the stuff on their site which is dumb, but it only takes a minute).

I got the package a few days after ordering and was disappointed to find only the knobs and bolts inside. I called SDI and they told me that they don't include the drill, tap or locating device anymore because it cost them too much and they weren't making any money. I complained saying that it explicitly states on the video on your site they they are included. They took a look at the video real quick and said they would make some changes on their site and would overnight me the parts since it was their mistake (now, when ordering the compression knobs there is a note for a different part number to order if you want the drill, tap and locator).

A few more days go by and I get the second box with the tools I need. Unfortunately, the locator device didn't do me any good as the extruded cylinder meant to set down on top of the recessed compression adjuster bolt is a larger diameter than the bolt its self (for the WR anyways).

Also, the extrusion on the bottom of the knobs meant to fit in the flathead slot of the compression adjuster bolts was too wide (again, meant for a larger diameter bolt), but a quick attack with a dremmel cutoff wheel took care of that.

I just drilled the holes free hand which had me a little nervous because if I was off too much I would end up drilling a hole through the side of the bolt and ruin the $100+ fork cap. The drilling and tapping went well thankfully. However, the 8mm drill and tap depth they specify wasn't enough to get the knobs tight as the bolt was bottoming out on the end of the tapped hole instead of on the knob. I added some lock washers (probably a good idea anyways) and that solved the problem.

Now I can adjust my compression in just a few seconds with no tools at trail intersections waiting for the others to catch up. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Drilling out and tapping the stock bolt.

Posted Image
Modifying the SDI knob extrusion to fit into my smaller diameter bolt slot.

Posted Image
Side by side comparison.

Posted Image
Useless locator device.

Posted Image
New SDI bolt to thread into tapped stock bolt with my lock washer.

Posted Image
One on!

Posted Image
Compression at softest setting (tallest possible point, hope my bars will still fit). The adjusters add about 5mm of height.

Posted Image
Both on! They are very smooth to click, can't wait to try them this weekend!

Got new bars and clamps in the mail today (Easton 1 38" bars). I'll add some pics and report back once I get them installed.

That's the rebound, not the compression......and on OB forks, they kind of need to be adjusted together....

Now let's see some compression adjusters...using cables and brackets~!

Edited by Krannie, March 20, 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted March 20, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yes, you are right, it is rebound, but I have played with them (using a screw driver) through out a day before and it really helped fine tune the suspension to that specific terrain. Using the screw driver was a PITA so this should be much easier.

There was enough room with my stock bars and clamps, but I just got the Easton 1 3/8" bars and clamps so I am not completely sure on this combo yet.

I can still remove the knobs and use a screw driver like normal if I wanted.

• woods-rider

Posted March 20, 2012 - 01:00 PM

That's the rebound, not the compression......and on OB forks, they kind of need to be adjusted together....

Now let's see some compression adjusters...using cables and brackets~!

Adjusted together meaning compression with rebound, or left and right together? Obviously left and right should be at the same number of clicks and If you adjust compression or rebound more than a few clicks it will obviously have a noticeable effect on the other.

• zibbit u2

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:12 PM

left and right, top and bottom I think is what he means

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.