Initial thoughts on GPR sabilizer

18 replies to this topic
  • Lowedog

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:48 PM

I installed a GPR stabilizer on my WR 450 a couple of weeks ago and thought I would post my thoughts on it. I have heard so many good things about it that I finally got one.

Well after getting a little riding time in I am thinking I have wasted my money. :) I have ridden it set from the softest to middle dampening and really think it makes the bike handle like crap. It feals really sluggish in the way it handles now. It is great for straight line fast stuff but for any thing slightly tight it feels way too sluggish. I am going to ride a little more with it then take it off and ride because I have heard that is the best way to see just how good they are. But for now I feel like it just doesn't suit my riding style.

So watch the for sale forum because you may find a good buy on one there soon.

Lowedog

• Poway Rider

Posted October 13, 2003 - 07:07 PM

The GPR really works best in sandy conditions, like desert riding. I probably wouldn't want one elsewhere.

• The_Blue_One

Posted October 13, 2003 - 08:40 PM

Lowedog

I agree i thought the same thing on my scotts. I turned my low speed down and left the high speed at the factory setting.It doesn't feel as sluggish but on the quick hits the bike stays straight. Does the GPR work that way?

Did you get the 2.0 or the standard dampner? :)

• Lowedog

Posted October 13, 2003 - 09:22 PM

I got the standard GPR. It only has one adjustment knob. I think one of the problems is that it dampens in both directions. I believe the Scotts is free back to center. I feel like the GPR makes the steering too slow back to center. I don't know. Maybe I am just too used to the way the bike handles without it. Witch I think is awesome. It would be nice if you could turn it completely off. That would give you the best of both worlds.

Lowedog

• ddialogue

Posted October 14, 2003 - 05:40 AM

I have the GPR 2.0 and I was suprised to see that I could not turn it completely off. I called GPR and they said it uses standard fork oil for the dampening. What I initially did was remove some of the oil from the dampener (to make it a little less effective) and that decreased the sluggishness a lot. I have considered looking for the lightest fork oil available and replacing the stock stuff GPR uses. I hope that would effectively decrease the dampening ability in each of the settings and since I never get mine above the 2 1/2 setting, no big deal. I ride both desert and woods here in Idaho and I like what it does for me in the open stuff. In the woods, I wish I could turn it completely off. I imagine in Washington, you only have woods to ride and I can see where you might not benefit from having a dampener.

• Hick

Posted October 14, 2003 - 02:59 PM

Some thoughts...

Creating an air pocket by letting some of the fluid out may make the damper change characteristics when it gets hot, and I don't know that this is an effective way to limit the damping, it may make it vary intermittantly as the air pocket passes the damping orifices and vane...

I agree that the GPR damping both ways is a disadvantage, although I really don't have too much seat time with one. When you turn the low speed knob on the Scott's two turns out this circuit is fully open and you shouldn't notice any damping, but the hi speed damping circuit is still in play. The GPR has the one circuit and no, you can't "turn it off..."

I run 10 wt. Spectro in my Scott's, they call for 5 wt., once the damper breaks in and the oil breaks down a little it will loosen up, so maybe that is a factor you should consider Lowedog.

Hope this helps.

• lipskid

Posted October 14, 2003 - 06:20 PM

Major bummer. Thats a lot of money to spend on something and not be happy with it. If it's still in good shape, maybe GPR would give you a refund. I've heard good things about their customer service. Couldn't hurt to ask. Or maybe they can recommend a setting you haven't tried yet. :)

The Scotts doesn't damp on return. Also, turning down low speed damping simultaniously increases high speed damping and visa-versa. I run mine @ 6-8 clicks out, which effectivly "turns off" any damping as far as steering inputs are concerned, but still damps high speed deflections. I love mine, but can certainly understand if you were reluctant to "experiment" with another $400.

• Lowedog

Posted October 14, 2003 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I wish I would have went with the Scotts on this. I talked to a few guys who run the GPR and they love it so I went with it. Maybe I will ask GPR if they will take it back. It doesn't even have a scratch on it so it looks brand new still. Who knows? Maybe they will take it. It would be tempting to try the Scotts if I get rid of the GPR to see how I like it. I didn't realize the Scotts had 2 circuits. Sounds like it would fit my riding style a lot better.

Lowedog

• markit

Posted October 15, 2003 - 07:21 AM

It takes time to get use to it, it's like getting use to any
major moad you have to take the time to get use to it. I felt the same way when I first got mine but now run it on 3
all the time in any conditions. You'll be faster and more confident with it, or you can take it off and ride at your old level.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rob1guns

Posted October 15, 2003 - 10:00 AM

I installed pro taper bars and pro taper adjustible
top triple clamp on my 426 . Is there a company that
makes a stearing damper that WILL fit the adjustable
top clamp?? Thanks for your help . :)

• Hick

Posted October 15, 2003 - 10:13 AM

top clamp?? Thanks for your help . :)

Fastway makes a bar mount with a sliding damper mount plate that should work, but I can no longer find it, or anything else, on their website. Their # is 970-241-3518

Otherwise, the damper moves with the bars, so you have to settle on one bar position and order the appropriate mounting plate, which actually replaces the top half of your bar mount.

Another option is to get the Scott's Low Mount which puts the damper down by the fender, then your bars and bar mounts are irrelevant.

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

• jetdave

Posted October 16, 2003 - 10:48 AM

I ride 95% tight, tight woods. The first time I rode with my GPR I hated it also. It was very tight on one and hard to ride. It loosened up considerably and I got used to it. Now I love :D it and would not want to ride with out it. I use the adjustment as a wear compensator. I can feel when it is so loose it is not helping me and I tighting it up a little. :)

• kurt505

Posted October 16, 2003 - 05:44 PM

I PUT THE SCOTTS ON MY WR400 AND DID NOT LIKE IT AT FIRST BUT PAYED ALL THAT $$$ SO LEFT IT ON.PICKED UP MY 450 RODE IT ONE TIME WITH OUT AND PUT ONE RIGHT BACK ON. ONLY WAY TO GO IN THE WOODS :)

• Lowedog

Posted October 26, 2003 - 08:15 PM

Its for sale! Took it off today and rode without it and I think the bike handles way better without it. To me the GPR makes the bike handle like it weighs 40lbs more than it does. Slows the handling way too much for me. See the parts for sale forum for more details.

Lowedog.

• Junior_Vet

Posted October 26, 2003 - 08:48 PM

I put the Scotts on and didn't notice much at first. Then it was obvious that the bike was going where I wanted it to go and not where it wanted to go. As the season progressed I know that the stabilizer saved my butt quite a few times. Now I adjust it 4 clicks out or in from 12 clicks on the low speed adjustment depending on the situation.
Does the Scotts need an oil change once per year?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 27, 2003 - 07:07 AM

top clamp??

Rob, this is my problem too!!! I have the PT clamp with Renthal Fatbars.. I love how it feels however I can't put my Scotts unit on...

Hick, Fastway? Thanks for the tip!! I'm on it..

PS. I bought the Scotts front fender mount a few months ago. Dude, that thing sticks way out and you have to grind and weld your frame to mount it.. Too much work if you ask me...

Dan

• The_Blue_One

Posted October 27, 2003 - 07:23 AM

Dan
I have the fastway mount since i use their handguards. Which are top quality IMHO. They only complaint i have about the mount is that you cna't see the alignment marks on the bars anymore. I ended up marking the bars on the out side of the clamp to make sure they're where i want em. other than that i've been happy with the clamp and quality. Here is a pic to give ya an idea of the adjustment range.
Posted Image

• Hick

Posted October 27, 2003 - 12:33 PM

Does the Scotts need an oil change once per year?

Depends on usage I imagine, but after a while the oil loses its viscosity and the damping softens. Changing the oil is super easy, just a tad messy getting all the air bubbles out, and sometimes the little fasteners that hold the lid on appear to have been installed by a Gorilla. A cheap hypo syringe and some sturdy allen wrenches are the ticket.

Fastway:

They seem to be MB guys (CNC operators by day) who got into dirt biking. They have some longer bark busters that extend inwards and attach to a special bar clamp, they call it the F.I.T. system (see The Blue One's pic above, note the "wings" on the bar clamp). They also have some reinforced, very tough looking triple clamp barkbuster mounts. Like me he was tired of bending his Cycra TC mounts when he dropped his CRF on a rock.

I think I've found their new website:

Fastway Performance

• hoppy

Posted October 27, 2003 - 12:50 PM

40lbs, that would make you even with me :) Leave it on!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.