08 yz450 w/ stabilizer

6 replies to this topic
  • Towelie

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:14 AM

I did search, there are lots of postings, but none that really fit what I want. Wondering if A) A stabilizer is worth it for mx riding only?

I read it will help my tired hands. Doctor finally got rid of the numbing I get but hands still get extremley weak after a few laps. Wide open tracks I can wide well cause I can short shift but tighter tracks I really struggle on.

:thumbsup: Scotts Vs the GPR V4: Both seem equal, leaning towards the GPR as it will fit under my flex bars where I need to buy some different cross bars from Fasstco to make the scotts work.

C) Used stablizers, run?

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I use a Scotts. I won't ride without it anymore. It will help you relax quite a bit, and it's saved my butt a couple of times by controlling the deflection from hitting stuff at odd angles. They work really well. Scotts dirt stabilizers damp only out from the center, allowing the free return to center without resistance, so if buying used, be sure you get one made for off-road, and not a street bike. Mine was not only used when I got it, it was damaged from a crash, so I had to spend quite a while reworking it to get it right. I have no idea how old it even is, but I've had it on two bikes for about 6 years with no troubles. Scotts service and the the parts availability are outstanding.

The thing that will really help your hands is suspension. Front and rear. Once the bike becomes stable and planted, you can ride a lot "looser", and won't get stung so hard by the big impacts.

• bg10459

Posted March 20, 2012 - 03:22 PM

IMO, a stabilizer wasn't / isn't necessary for MX riding, but I ride a YZ250 2T. I never rode a 450 MXer, so I can't say if it would benefit from one. I do like the Scotts stabilizer on my WR450, though, but that sees 60+ mph, rock gardens and the unforeseen obstacles that are common offroad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:34 PM

I did search, there are lots of postings, but none that really fit what I want. Wondering if A) A stabilizer is worth it for mx riding only?

I read it will help my tired hands. Doctor finally got rid of the numbing I get but hands still get extremley weak after a few laps. Wide open tracks I can wide well cause I can short shift but tighter tracks I really struggle on.

:thumbsup: Scotts Vs the GPR V4: Both seem equal, leaning towards the GPR as it will fit under my flex bars where I need to buy some different cross bars from Fasstco to make the scotts work.

C) Used stablizers, run?

Thanks!

Just remember that if you run a damper for MX or anything with tight turns you will run our Low speed adjustment looser so you dont have to fight the bars when you turn, and you will use the High speed adjustment for any of those sudden impacts that want to twist the bars out of your hands. You will probably also want to run the Sweep valves to the most narrow setting so the damper breaks free quicker as opposed to a Baja type rider who will want to damper to perform for a long Sweep or range of turning. We do make a mount that will put the damper underneath the bars like what you were mentioning but it will raise the bars up one inch to make room for the damper to sit. Depending on what bend of bars you have you might be able to make the damper fit underneath the Flex crossbar so you dont have to raise the height at all or you can buy the special crossbars that you mentioned from Flex.
Thanks-
Eric

Edited by Eric@ScottsPerformance, March 20, 2012 - 04:35 PM.

• Weapon X

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I've run the scotts for a year now and race MX and also ride tight woods in the spring and fall. I also had both my hands fall asleep during races and tried fasst bars which did help and I love using but I now will never run without a scotts stabilizer ,the only little downfall is you have to cut the foam up on a bar pad if you have the over the bars unit like I have to make it a little safer for your face. You definetly can loosen up your grip in corners when using a stabilizer you have to try one.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Just remember that if you run a damper for MX or anything with tight turns you will run our Low speed adjustment looser so you dont have to fight the bars when you turn, and you will use the High speed adjustment for any of those sudden impacts that want to twist the bars out of your hands. You will probably also want to run the Sweep valves to the most narrow setting so the damper breaks free quicker as opposed to a Baja type rider who will want to damper to perform for a long Sweep or range of turning.

The availability of an adjustable high speed circuit is another great feature, as is the adjustable sweep range. As far as "fighting the bars", though, maybe some can notice it, but I never have. It's weird, because with the bike on a stand, you can definitely feel the damper working, but underway, it just isn't that evident.

In fact, most of the time, you can't really feel it working at all, until you take it off one day and ride without it. That's an eye opener.

• Weapon X

Posted March 22, 2012 - 07:23 PM

you almost feel naked on a bike without one after using one so long!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.