Question

6 replies to this topic
  • ill_caper

Posted October 13, 2003 - 05:33 PM

My fuel screw needs to be turned out around 4 or 5 turns. It almost feels like it is going to fall out. Also it is starting hard when its cold. Is this an indication that my pilot jet needs to be changed. If so, what is the stock pilot jet and what do you recommend I change it to? Thanks, D :) :D :D

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:05 PM

Means you need a couple size smaller pilot jet....more than 2 turns out you're too rich, less than 1 turn out you're too lean.

• tctrailrider

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:10 PM

Ill-caper,
At 4 turns out the FS will fall out very easily. Stock PJ on a 450 is a 42 or 45 I think. Either one of those should not need 4 turns. The JD kit is designed to work well with stock PJ and 1 1/2 to 2 turns on FS. You may want to give the carb a good cleaning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eddie Sisneros

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:20 PM

Means you need a couple size smaller pilot jet....more than 2 turns out you're too rich, less than 1 turn out you're too lean.

youve got it backwards.its a fuel screw on a four stroke.it needs a bigger pilot or a needle with a richer/smaller starting/straight demension.

• lipskid

Posted October 14, 2003 - 06:45 PM

45pj is stock. :) If the 170mj and JD needle are working for you(considerably richer than stock setting), I would think you might need a richer pilot as well. 48 maybe?

• WR250fla

Posted October 14, 2003 - 07:04 PM

I have a 48 in mine and it seems to work well. I am at a foot and a half above sealevel.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 15, 2003 - 10:22 PM

Use a 72 starter jet for the winter. It helps with cold starting. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.