Street Legal YZ450 converted lighting: Finishing Touch's

10 replies to this topic
  • sledtrash

Posted March 19, 2012 - 09:44 AM

So I'm just getting the ever on going project finished up for the winter. All of our snow melted in the last week so I'm ready to ride. I'll have my front turn's installed and a mirror then an inspection by the County Sheriff to get my title.... (Wyoming just changed their laws, never used to require title for off-road vehicles but now they do. So I can get my YZ licensed as a Street legal bike as long as it meets the inspection!!!!) Then off around town I go!!! Will post pics of my black rims on the bike when I get street tires mounted. I bought the rear light off of ebay from a UK seller. It features a tail, brake, both turns, and license light all in the little light. Very clean looking!!! My roommate is going to add some custom pinstriping and then I'm getting some clear vinel protective all over the plastics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

More Pictures Soon!!!! Thanks for looking!!

Edited by sledtrash, March 19, 2012 - 10:07 AM.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 19, 2012 - 12:17 PM

More info and pics on the rear light (how it mounts) would be nice. Also, what are you doing for power?

• sledtrash

Posted March 21, 2012 - 07:38 AM

More info and pics on the rear light (how it mounts) would be nice. Also, what are you doing for power?

The tailight just bolts on i can give you the link for the ebay seller that i got it from. For power I did the wr light swap along with the wiring harness and everything....

• cowboyona426

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:57 AM

The tailight just bolts on i can give you the link for the ebay seller that i got it from. For power I did the wr light swap along with the wiring harness and everything....

So you swapped cases, crank, the whole 9 yards to be able to run the WR electronics? Ambitious you are...

• YZPaGuy

Posted March 23, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Some more info and links would be great. I need to make my YZ450F enduro legal. Headlight and tail light.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamiryder

Posted March 23, 2012 - 06:19 PM

you forgot to wash your bike! :thumbsup:

• sledtrash

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:14 PM

So you swapped cases, crank, the whole 9 yards to be able to run the WR electronics? Ambitious you are...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=180832176233

No not the cases, the 06-09 yz and the 07+ wr cranks interchange with a sidecover replacement.

Heres the link to my build:
http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

And another that swatdoc started....

http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

And gdbarr1976 who I originally got the idea from....

http://www.thumperta..._1#entry7436725

There are others that have done this swap and wrote it down on here as well.

And I just got back from my first little jig out on the prairie so of course it wasn't washed. I did wash it that night and now its dirty again.... :thumbsup:

Edited by sledtrash, March 25, 2012 - 07:29 PM.

• VetRacer75

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yeah i seem to wash my bike as much as ride it. Did you know you had a missing front motor bolt, or it that to allow more flex in the frame?

• sledtrash

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:31 AM

No the frame is stripped out and I just haven't got something to fix it.... I was going to stick a bolt that goes all the way across to the other side and put a nut on it. :thumbsup:

Here are my buddy pegs installed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• sledtrash

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:36 AM

The buddy pegs I got off of Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

I had to grind off on little thing on the right side and I could probably get rid of the guard on top as well... but I kinda like the safety insurance for the passenger keeping their food off of the exhaust!!! I've tested it out with a friend (girl of course!!!) who is 6' 3" and she said that it was way comfortable. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
In explanation here.... I got a piece of strap and cut it to length between the shroud bolt hole and the little tab welded on the sub frame for the chain roller above.... I then got a nut not locking, and filed it down so it fit the gap between the tab so it would come out flush with the frame. I also had to file it down on one side because the tab is really low profile with the frame. I then got a bolt the proper size and used the nut as a spacer, and put lock tite on it and here it is! The lower mount for this side I cheated and drilled through the sub frame.... I might have it reinforced at some point but I don't think it will bother. The one issue I had here is that the sub frame doesn't come down the same distance on each side so I bolted the right side to where the lower exhaust bolt goes for the top mount.
Posted Image
I then made a little bracket for the lower mount, Then I took my level and found the most level place I could on the ground then stuck it on my swing arm and with the help of a friend leveled the bike and then measured to the ground and then using my eyeball precision I lined the left side up as best I could with the right and then marked it with a sharpe and drilled the hole in the subframe and then built my strap bracket!!!
Posted Image
And My new light switch my other quit working!!!
Posted Image
Hello from 7209ft elevation!!!

Edited by sledtrash, April 11, 2012 - 07:49 AM.

• sledtrash

Posted April 15, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Just a added note, if you buy that taillight and your meaning to use it offroad it is very brittle and will snap the plastis easily. I whipped around in the trees and it clipped a branch and it snapped the plate bracket. off of the tail light so it will be a great on road application but for off road I wouldn't suggest it. Also for the foot pegs buy a olt the same size with a lock nut and put it in. somoehoww that pin came out and I lost my left side buddyy peg!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.