number plate and air box 07 450

5 replies to this topic
  • DBOBYZ450

Posted March 19, 2012 - 09:16 AM

hey ive searched around and have found some info but not exactly waht im looking for.

I went ridding at belfair yesterday (wa) and it was WET. :thumbsup: when i got home i noticed just a little water in my airbox and my filter also was damp...maybe wet in anothers opinion. So , Do any of you guys modify the air ports on the number plates to not aloow ater through them or is there something i can do to prevent water getting past my airfilter or even to it. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 19, 2012 - 12:18 PM

I suppose you could put some of that hydrophobic pre-filter mesh over the ports, but you could still get water splashing in there. As long as it wasn't causing a problem, I don't think I'd worry about it much.

• Yamiryder

Posted March 19, 2012 - 05:46 PM

If you really wanted to, maybe you could put some foam air filter material in the holes, but if you went through a lot of water, the filter would probably still get wet. You will probably be fine most of the time anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DBOBYZ450

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:29 PM

alright thanks guys, its not like i went went water over my seat :thumbsup: ,i just didnt know if there was a simple fix any ones done to make it a little tighter.

i just used some pj1 spray that says its water resistant . :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:42 AM

The filter oil may be water resistant (most of it is), but that doesn't mean water won't go straight through the filter anyway. The big teams do quite a lot of little stuff to keep water off the filter for wet races. One little trick is to tape a piece of fuel hose to the rear fender under the seat in a V shape, with the point up/rearward and the outer ends of the V spread wider than the air box. This helps channel water that runs in from behind off the center of the fender and away from the box. I've also seen the air holes in the rear number plates have baffles added to them on the inside so water can't stream directly in through them, but instead is forced down along the sides where it's more likely to drain away without getting onto the filter.

• DBOBYZ450

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:35 PM

The filter oil may be water resistant (most of it is), but that doesn't mean water won't go straight through the filter anyway. The big teams do quite a lot of little stuff to keep water off the filter for wet races. One little trick is to tape a piece of fuel hose to the rear fender under the seat in a V shape, with the point up/rearward and the outer ends of the V spread wider than the air box. This helps channel water that runs in from behind off the center of the fender and away from the box. I've also seen the air holes in the rear number plates have baffles added to them on the inside so water can't stream directly in through them, but instead is forced down along the sides where it's more likely to drain away without getting onto the filter.

thank you i am going to leave it unless i have water in the box again then ill have to fab something simple up like this and post some pics

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.