Gutz Racing soft foam reveiw, eliminates need for lowering link

13 replies to this topic
  • Taxgod4u

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:33 AM

fwiw, just installed the stock height soft seat foam. it is uber soft, like a ttr90. I mean really soft, possibly too soft. I weigh 180 and 29" inseam, the new foam settles about an inch. My feet are now planted on the ground much better. Have not ridden it yet... Just a thought if you were considering a lowering link, this is a cheaper way to go and you keep your handling characteristics.

• Eightball64

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:03 PM

fwiw, just installed the stock height soft seat foam. it is uber soft, like a ttr90. I mean really soft, possibly too soft. I weigh 180 and 29" inseam, the new foam settles about an inch. My feet are now planted on the ground much better. Have not ridden it yet... Just a thought if you were considering a lowering link, this is a cheaper way to go and you keep your handling characteristics.

Do you think it will hold up? I have been looking at them myself just worried that the soft may not be durable enough. I weight about 210. The stock seat on my 07 kills me.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 19, 2012 - 06:42 PM

I shaved my soft seat down. I can feel the plastic underneath it but, I can also touch the ground. I only tend to sit late in the ride.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Math

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Just to let you know that I have installed back a long time ago a Guts soft on my '01 WR426 and the material is still in good shape and feels just like the first day.

Make sure your seat cover is waterproof. I noticed that molds developped on the sides of the foam after only a year or two riding with the original seat cover that was part permeable tissue.

Since then, I've replaced with a gripper factory effex and I'm not having any problem...

Most of my riding is long days riding rocky and muddy trails at a pretty good pace... so I can take a soft seat, specially when we're riding since 9am and it's turning 6pm...

Math

• GlennR

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:29 AM

How much does the Gutz seat cost? Is it an entire seat, or do you reuse the OEM seat pan?

I bought a Seat Concepts seat for my DRZ400. It was great, but I made the mistake of ordering a tall foam and had to carve it down. After 5-6 hours on my 08' WR450 yesterday I'm ready to order a different seat for it.

• Taxgod4u

Posted March 20, 2012 - 07:18 AM

$75 delivered to CA

• gsa102

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:35 AM

I am 6'1 and 230#, running a tall guts soft and I think it is too soft for me since it broke in, and that didn't take long. I think it makes it hard to slide forward because it is so soft. I called them before I ordered, and they said the medium was like stock, which was a board.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leardriver

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:40 AM

My guts soft foam lasted forever, and was great. They make a comfort version that is even wider, and I like that as well. It is about $55.

• Math

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I am 6'1 and 230#, running a tall guts soft and I think it is too soft for me since it broke in, and that didn't take long. I think it makes it hard to slide forward because it is so soft. I called them before I ordered, and they said the medium was like stock, which was a board.

My cousin is 6'8'' and 250 pounds. He's been riding the tall soft for a while with no complaint. He does not do a lot of mx track though so I can't tell about transferring forward/backward on the seat... But he never found it too soft once broked. Looks like everyone's rear end is different :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Eightball64

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys how long did normal shipping from guts take? I have a ride in WV in 9 days but do not want to pay the same price as the seat in shipping costs to get it. Wondering if I would still have time to install.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:16 PM

I cant see how you guys can like the guts seats for long rides.They are too narrow.Guys bring me the Guts seats to make them wider all the time.When I got my guts soft seat,it was just a small amount better than stock.

• Taxgod4u

Posted March 20, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hey guys how long did normal shipping from guts take? I have a ride in WV in 9 days but do not want to pay the same price as the seat in shipping costs to get it. Wondering if I would still have time to install.

ordered on a monday, had it on wednesday

• GlennR

Posted March 21, 2012 - 04:02 AM

I cant see how you guys can like the guts seats for long rides.They are too narrow.Guys bring me the Guts seats to make them wider all the time.When I got my guts soft seat,it was just a small amount better than stock.

So, what do you recommend?

A lot of folk like Seat Concepts for DRZ's. Have you tried them for a WR450 ?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:26 AM

So, what do you recommend?

A lot of folk like Seat Concepts for DRZ's. Have you tried them for a WR450 ?

I have a seat concepts seat. Its like riding on a couch. But... its wider and little taller. I think it raises the seat about an inch. I had way more tipovers., but absolutely no monkey butt after a 10 hr ride.

If you go with seat concepts, be sure to ask the guy for the oem seat shape. I have one and I am considering cutting it down.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.