2005 wr450 melted battery

8 replies to this topic
  • texboy

Posted March 18, 2012 - 07:01 PM

My dad just purchased a very clean 2005 wr450. put a new battery in it and it started just fine and held a charge for over a week. Went to the races and the bike died after 12 miles. Battery completely dead. Bought a high dollar $150 dollar battery and it basically melted after 7 miles. The bike will not run below 1000 rpm but will pull start without battery. Checked another battery with it running and it was putting out 12.8 while revving the motor. Before we start buying a new stator and rugulator looking for any suggestions or ways to test the stator and regulator.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:54 PM

My dad just purchased a very clean 2005 wr450. put a new battery in it and it started just fine and held a charge for over a week. Went to the races and the bike died after 12 miles. Battery completely dead. Bought a high dollar $150 dollar battery and it basically melted after 7 miles. The bike will not run below 1000 rpm but will pull start without battery. Checked another battery with it running and it was putting out 12.8 while revving the motor. Before we start buying a new stator and rugulator looking for any suggestions or ways to test the stator and regulator.

You just need to buy a new regulator, and check the harness for wires that have the insulation rubbed away by friction.

• texboy

Posted March 19, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Would a bad rugulator keep it from running at idle and still boil the battery? I was wondering it it could be 2 different problems. i have read that there are 2 different sides for electrical. One for the spark and the other for lights and such. Do both sides go through the regulator?

• travertt

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:21 PM

I just changed the regulator/rectifier on my 04WR.

In my case I was frying my lights..they would last about 3 minutes...but everything else worked just fine. Ended up driving most of last season with no lights.

The WR regulator controls the power from the stator, putting out DC for the ignition and AC to run the lights. In my case it was not keeping the amount of AC under control and the lights would burn out in very short order.

It sounds like in your case, its not keeping the DC under control..or is possibly converting/sending all power created by the stator to the DC circuit and frying (melting) your battery.

Once I changed the regulator..all my lighting problems disappeared and my bike actually started easier.

Its a very easy change out to do and only costs about $110 - $125....likely cheaper than any stator/rotor type fix.

No guarantees..but I would certainly agree with Krannie..replace the unit and check for shorts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted March 19, 2012 - 06:46 PM

here is another battery option
http://www.solomotop...CFWYZQgodTzZTKw

Edited by Charles De Mar, March 19, 2012 - 06:47 PM.

• texboy

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just ordered the regulator, will let you know the results. Thanks for the help.

• William1

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:41 AM

You should also run the basic electrical tests on the stator and regulator/rectifier (all in the manual) as well as confirm all connections are good (esp. grounds). To guess what part might of failed can be a very expensive method of diagnosis.

• ACM

Posted March 22, 2012 - 10:25 AM

You just need to buy a new regulator, and check the harness for wires that have the insulation rubbed away by friction.

No expert, but from my sample of 1, harness fixed if for me... http://www.thumperta...ting-batteries/

I went through a new regulator/rectifier and new stator, as well as 2 yuassa japan batteries, and 1 lithium battery.
Nothing really nailed it...
I eventually went round every connector, inserted it and removed it 10 times, and cleaned-up each one with a sharp screwdriver.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just moving the wires around rather than cleaning the connectors, but seemed to fixed it.

I guess the underlying problem is still there, but been fine since!
Al

• texboy

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well we put the new regulator in and everythins seemed fine. Checked it several times checked all the connections and at the batterey with bike at 1/4 throttle getting 14.5. But after an hour or so of playing around things changed. With the meter on the battery and 1/4 throttle it started at 14.5 but just started climbing up to 19. Wondering if something blew the regulator again, because it was working fine. It also looks like are getting A/C to the battery now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.