Home Made Lighting

13 replies to this topic
  • The_Dave

Posted October 13, 2003 - 03:18 PM

I wanted a little more lighting for my BRP for nocturnal dune operations :)

After some help from some of the fellers on this board and little trial and error I came up with this:
Posted Image

You can see more here:

I am using two 55 watt units. One is a flood, one is a spot. I have rewound my stator as well. I did 8 poles, 16 gauge wire, 48 turns per pole. I am guessing that I am pushing 200 watts. As I am not 100% sure my stator will push these lights (I guess I will find out once my motor is back together) but I am hopful that al will work out ok. I also have a 3 position switch, off - flood - all.

So, Whatcha Think?

• qadsan

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:11 PM

:D :) :D :D :D

• CJPilot

Posted October 13, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Good Job! You wanna make me one? :)

• AzMtnThumper

Posted October 13, 2003 - 07:32 PM

Neat-O :)

• Dutch

Posted October 13, 2003 - 08:01 PM

Sweeet - how about more build details? ------- very clean :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted October 13, 2003 - 08:24 PM

Be careful at night in the dunes, I too had the same idea years ago on my 600. My friend and I did the stators and got bigger lights from Baja Designs. We fiqured why not, we used to go out at night all the time on our quads. Later we realized that by the time it got dark we were way too buzzed to be out there late at night. Although it took a few endos off big dunes for us to realize we better stick to the trucks at night. I still occasionly take my 650 out at night (stock light). One time on the way to Comp hill I left the Glamis store at the same time my friend did in his Jeep and I pulled in to Osbourne road just before he did and he was on the highway!, what a rush going through all those whoops and rollers at full speed at night.

By the way, nice light!

• The_Dave

Posted October 13, 2003 - 09:23 PM

Thanks guys!

The details are as follows:

The lights are 55 watt units that I got at 4 Wheel Parts for 19.95 a piece. The Oval tubing is 1 inch thin wall mild steel tubing. The support tubes are .75 inch thin wall mild steel. The mounting tabs and top supports are stamped units I got from a local buggy shop @ .10 cents a piece.

I bent the oval on a friends tubing bender. I basically made to "U" shaped units and spliced them together in the middle. Then it was a simple matter of welding in the light mounts so the lights are in the right place. Then I made the attach struts, eyeballing them for the correct position. I added a gusset for the switch mount and used two additional gussets for the top lamp supports. After everything was lined up I drilled the top supports and the lamp shells and then I installed nut plates on the inside of the shells to accomodate the screws. Wired it up and bingo! I was done...

If you decide to do this very easy project, just remember you would need to rewind your stator.

I have exactly 45 bucks invested in the whole project. Well worth the effort.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoCalDirtDevil

Posted October 18, 2003 - 01:24 PM

:D :) :thumbsup:Bitchin lookin light rig! :D I have to agree with XR/CRDave though I am too buzzed by nightfall to be riding anything. Well except maybe for....better not go there in case she reads this. :D

• zeke79

Posted October 20, 2003 - 06:47 AM

may be a stupid question but how are you burning off the extra juice if you turn the lights off?? It was my understanding that this was not a good thing to do.

• The_Dave

Posted October 20, 2003 - 02:28 PM

It is my understanding that the heavy duty voltage regulator/ rectifier just shunts unused voltage to ground and disapates the energy in the form of heat. I have been running lighting this way for several months now and have had no failures.

Time will tell....

• Moredesert

Posted October 20, 2003 - 04:12 PM

When I rewound my stator I installed a Baja Designs regulator. Works for me. :)

• The DEUCE

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Unable to see the pictures in Post #1 and I don't know why. Does anyone else have pics available?

You don't have permission to access /~daveb/Pictures/XR650/light_2.jpg on this server.

Edited by The DEUCE, November 17, 2013 - 06:31 PM.

• goneballistic

Posted November 18, 2013 - 08:22 AM

it *might* be cause you resurrected a ten year old thread. Just guessin....

• ThumpNRed

Posted November 18, 2013 - 12:08 PM

lol. The solution from back then is an antique by now anyway.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.