Yamaha Plastic...

12 replies to this topic
  • xr600r

Posted October 13, 2003 - 03:06 PM

Why is yamaha plastic so crappy ????????? when you look at it, it turns white, when your touch it, it scratches, and cracks !!!!!!! well.. not quite that bad.. BUT ALMOST. :)

• ill_caper

Posted October 13, 2003 - 03:15 PM

I was told that all you have to do to get rid of the white on it is to put a blow dryer on he white spot and heat it up. I havent tried it yet though

• MiniMadMan50

Posted October 13, 2003 - 06:17 PM

I heard from my dealer that when they switched to blue a few years back, they started having a lot of problems with the plastic. The gas tank on my WR426 cracked on it's own (it wasn't from a crash, because there were cracks all over in conspicuous places), and when I went to the dealer, they told me that they have heard of that happeneing before, and they don't know why it does. But I agree with you, the plastic SUCKS. Get some UFO plastic. The stuff is beautiful.

• jwriott

Posted October 14, 2003 - 07:03 AM

I think the Yamaha plastic sucks as well. It just seems too thin and cheap. The head light is held on solid too so when you crash, it tears up the mounts. :)

• holeshot426

Posted October 14, 2003 - 08:23 AM

Take a heat gun on low to your white spots, it will make them disappear. It also works on smoothing out scratches.

• banffboy

Posted October 14, 2003 - 09:15 AM

Don't even bother with that until you're going to sell it. Ride it all scratched up and mangled. When you crack some plastic, stitch it together with safety wire. That's how my bike looks :D :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dean400

Posted October 14, 2003 - 09:52 AM

I've done the heat gun trick too, and it works. However, the white spots come back easier every time you do it.

• WR_Jason

Posted October 14, 2003 - 01:16 PM

Don't even bother with that until you're going to sell it. Ride it all scratched up and mangled. When you crack some plastic, stitch it together with safety wire. That's how my bike looks :D :)

:D Yeah man, thats what Im talking about! My front fender is like cracked in the middle in the front, but it keeps the mud down, what esle is it there for? The Yamaha fenders actually do a great job of deflecting the mud, someting that MX bikes were lacking for many years. Ride an older YZ or other bike with skimpy fenders through a mud hole and as the nasty stinkey green water and mud ooozzzzes down your back and who knows where esle, those crappy looking fenders suddenley look great :D.
eeeewwwwweeee,, I just like grossed myself out with the mud thing!

• RLucky82

Posted October 14, 2003 - 03:24 PM

my plastic is all stock and it looks used but there are no cracks! and that goes for my yz and ttr as well.

• foursmoke

Posted October 14, 2003 - 07:20 PM

The head light is held on solid too so when you crash, it tears up the mounts.

Don't crash then :)!

Smoke :D

• teallen3

Posted October 15, 2003 - 04:44 AM

I have on 03 WR and the tank cracked like stated above. The yamaha shop here covered it under warranty for me. Pretty cool people in my book!

• rob1guns

Posted October 15, 2003 - 10:09 AM

Don't even bother with that until you're going to sell it. Ride it all scratched up and mangled. When you crack some plastic, stitch it together with safety wire.

that is the way to do it!!!! i have had some
:) realllllly good times on bikes just like these..

• DirtFreakQ

Posted October 16, 2003 - 05:12 AM

The plastic sucks allright... crashed into a tree (don't ask), side panel got smashed, headlight got knackered...

I ordered a new UFO headlight, but the side panel will stay, I intend to wreck all plastics and then replace them all :D

I had a new UFO front fender tho and it's still in mint condition, even after meeting a tree, says enough I think... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.