Trans fluid for 2008 250 XC-W?

27 replies to this topic
  • Dante04SRT

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:40 PM

I will be changing the clutch in my XC-W sometime soon and will be replacing the trans fluid at the same time. I'm curious what others are running and what to stay AWAY from??

I used to run Castrol ATF-F in my RM250 - It worked well and was readily available more anywhere - Any reason NOT to run this??

• nohawk

Posted March 18, 2012 - 01:37 PM

I use Rotella in my '04.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted March 18, 2012 - 02:02 PM

Rotella T in my bikes. I've used ATF before and it works fine.
Joe.....

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 18, 2012 - 02:14 PM

ATF is pretty much blueprint made for motorcycle transmissions when you think about it.

Automatic transmissions and motorcycle tranny's share many of the same characteristics-high temps, wet clutches, high stress gears that need lubrication and cushion.

I run ATF in all my two stroke transmissions. Never had a problem.

• zig06

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:35 AM

ATF trans fluid is "almost" designed to be the same as regular motorcycle specific trans oil. The big difference is that ATF is designed to be used in a system that is filtered and has a pump to pressure feed the oil. Motorcycle transmissions are splash lubed.

Sure lot's of guys use ATF and have gotten thousands of miles of loyal service, I personally have no problem spending a buck or two more to get a motorcycle specific trans oil.

• Dante04SRT

Posted March 20, 2012 - 01:37 PM

ATF trans fluid is "almost" designed to be the same as regular motorcycle specific trans oil. The big difference is that ATF is designed to be used in a system that is filtered and has a pump to pressure feed the oil. Motorcycle transmissions are splash lubed.

All of my manual transmissions (automotive) use ATF, not a specific manual trans fluid. I don't know if I agree with the "pressure feed" characteristic mentioned. But, no biggie.

Sure lot's of guys use ATF and have gotten thousands of miles of loyal service, I personally have no problem spending a buck or two more to get a motorcycle specific trans oil.

The main reason for running the ATF-F was originally it's availability. What is usually available off the shelf at say, CycleGear? Any idea on price?

• zig06

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:59 PM

.... What is usually available off the shelf at say, CycleGear? Any idea on price?

That's an easy one, NAPA stores carry this as well as my local gas station and there's others but I do not have that kind of time to waste looking for something that I already have. The price is around $6.50 a quart in my area, which is about a buck more than ATF.:

Posted Image
And there's more if 20w50 is not what you are looking for: http://www.napaonlin...l&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

I've never been to a Cycle Gear store so I have no idea of what they carry. However, I do know that my local Auto Zone and a couple of independent auto supply stores carry a motorcycle specific oil (this and others). Even a midwest grocery store chain (Meijers) carries it and their open 24 - 7.

Honestly the only excuse to run ATF is that it's because you want to or that maybe you are looking to pinch your pennies a little bit harder, for me I'm ok with spending a few extra bucks per year to give my motorcycles exactly what they are designed to get.

• rolliew

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:13 PM

That's an easy one, NAPA stores carry this as well as my local gas station and there's others but I do not have that kind of time to waste looking for something that I already have. The price is around $6.50 a quart in my area, which is about a buck more than ATF.:

Posted Image
And there's more if 20w50 is not what you are looking for: http://www.napaonlin...l&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

I've never been to a Cycle Gear store so I have no idea of what they carry. However, I do know that my local Auto Zone and a couple of independent auto supply stores carry a motorcycle specific oil (this and others). Even a midwest grocery store chain (Meijers) carries it and their open 24 - 7.

Honestly the only excuse to run ATF is that it's because you want to or that maybe you are looking to pinch your pennies a little bit harder, for me I'm ok with spending a few extra bucks per year to give my motorcycles exactly what they are designed to get.

I too have used this Valvoline, even in my 4 stroke on the engine side. no issues and a great price.

• dhdrider

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:56 AM

$15 a gallon:
Posted Image

Or if you feeling fancy, synthetic for about $20 a gallon:
Posted Image

Just don't get the T5, it doesn't meet JASO MA specs.

The two on the left meet JAO MA, the one on the right does not:
Posted Image

Edited by dhdrider, March 21, 2012 - 09:58 AM.

• clapped_r6

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:44 AM

rekluse recommends rotella for their auto clutches, i run it without issues.

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 23, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Neither my transfer case nor my manual transmission have pumps in them. They are both 'splash/sling' lubricated.

Neither have filters.

Both specify Dexron Mercon as their lubricant.

Service intervals of 50k+.

• Squid_Racer

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:11 AM

I've run ATF for years without issue. one thing you will notice if you take apart a transmission that has been run with ATF is how clean it is. Their is more detergents in ATF than in oil. Personally since I clutch my bike a fair amount I drain it more often than the manual states to get the clutch shavings out too. I think if you are easy on the clutch then you can go much longer on the transmission oil than most people do. I think the manual states something like 25 hours.

• zig06

Posted March 24, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've run ATF for years without issue. one thing you will notice if you take apart a transmission that has been run with ATF is how clean it is. Their is more detergents in ATF than in oil. Personally since I clutch my bike a fair amount I drain it more often than the manual states to get the clutch shavings out too. I think if you are easy on the clutch then you can go much longer on the transmission oil than most people do. I think the manual states something like 25 hours.

This is a fair statement. And I would just like to add that by and large we are only agreeing to disagree, just know that when ever I'm asked I will always recommend that a motorcycle specific oil be used. I'm sure others will do the same with ATF. Different strokes for different folks, but no matter what I would still ride with anyone of you!

• Squid_Racer

Posted March 24, 2012 - 09:49 AM

This is a fair statement. And I would just like to add that by and large we are only agreeing to disagree, just know that when ever I'm asked I will always recommend that a motorcycle specific oil be used. I'm sure others will do the same with ATF. Different strokes for different folks, but no matter what I would still ride with anyone of you!

No way dude if your not running ATF I won't ride with you.... I don't even speak to people who ride bikes that aren't orange :thumbsup:

• zig06

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:19 PM

No way dude if your not running ATF I won't ride with you.... I don't even speak to people who ride bikes that aren't orange :thumbsup:

LOL

Ok, no ATF but I do ride orange, so can I at least follow your dust?

• rozy157

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Been all over the place. Ran the Motorex for a while. Currently running Gear Saver by Bel-Ray and loving it.

• Matt_W

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Been all over the place. Ran the Motorex for a while. Currently running Gear Saver by Bel-Ray and loving it.

+1 I've been using Bel Ray gear saver for as long as I can remember.

I understand people trying to save a few bucks here and there, but when you invest the amount of money we do in these bikes, hop-ups, gear, etc., I don't understand why you would cheap out on the life blood of the bike and buy something not specifically made for a bike. I hear old used underwear make great air filters too :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt_W, March 25, 2012 - 09:38 AM.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted March 25, 2012 - 01:28 PM

+1 I've been using Bel Ray gear saver for as long as I can remember.

I understand people trying to save a few bucks here and there, but when you invest the amount of money we do in these bikes, hop-ups, gear, etc., I don't understand why you would cheap out on the life blood of the bike and buy something not specifically made for a bike. I hear old used underwear make great air filters too :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you about going cheap on some things but cheaper oil works just fine with no ill affects of any kind so why throw money at high $$$ oil? Keep in mind I change my oil after every race. Now if I was leaving oil in the tranny forever the high $$$ oil would be a smart choice. I have an engine apart that I just split last night and the tranny is perfect as well as the clutch and everything else. The proof is in the parts and I see no gain in buying the bling oil for the tranny.
Joe........

• Mcronkgto

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Just a note about oils that are designed for low emission vehicles and used in other applications. I have restored and raced cars (NHRA drag racing) for years. A few years ago the major oil companies started removing the zinc from motor oils because it was damaging catalytic convertors. Shortly after many engine builders were seeing severe wear / damage to camshaft lobes, pushrods, rocker arms (high stress areas) due to the zinc additive that was removed. The oil companies did not make this fact public and it took a while for the problem to be diagnosed. Now there are zinc additives and special oils for engine break in and for older engines. Just today I noticed on the Rotella T container that it is now formulated for "low emissions vehicles". For a while the racing community was using this same oil but it now appears that it has also been "approved" for low emissions and thus had the zinc package removed/ reduced.

I also have been using this oil in my 2011 300 XC but now am wondering if it has the same ability to reduce wear on high stress areas. Obviously motorcycle specific oil does not have to be approved for catalytic convertors.

Mark C

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 26, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just a note about oils that are designed for low emission vehicles and used in other applications. I have restored and raced cars (NHRA drag racing) for years. A few years ago the major oil companies started removing the zinc from motor oils because it was damaging catalytic convertors. Shortly after many engine builders were seeing severe wear / damage to camshaft lobes, pushrods, rocker arms (high stress areas) due to the zinc additive that was removed. The oil companies did not make this fact public and it took a while for the problem to be diagnosed. Now there are zinc additives and special oils for engine break in and for older engines. Just today I noticed on the Rotella T container that it is now formulated for "low emissions vehicles". For a while the racing community was using this same oil but it now appears that it has also been "approved" for low emissions and thus had the zinc package removed/ reduced.

I also have been using this oil in my 2011 300 XC but now am wondering if it has the same ability to reduce wear on high stress areas. Obviously motorcycle specific oil does not have to be approved for catalytic convertors.

Mark C

I have read this also, and have asked, yet nobody can explain why....Why will a low zinc oil destroy one motor and not another?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.