baught 08 yz450f low hours, bike smokes ?+ ticking noise? HELP!

6 replies to this topic
  • ryan23

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:59 PM

i am new to the 4 stroke scene. i found a 2008 yz450f with a claimed 11 hours on it. bike looked new verry little case wear foot pegs were perfect original sprockets and chain in good condition original tires. i started the bike and listened to it run for a couple of minutes sounded great. the only thing that was done to the bike was it had the stock muffler taken apart and a usfs leagle spark arrester bolted on. apparently it was never rejetted. although he said it was. i found out otherwise apon further investigation. rejetted (JD jet kit) the bike added a fuel screw (flex jet) changed the oil. bike has a verry apparent clack/tick when warm. it only does it when it is warm what is that. any ideas? i think that the bike smokes too much when warm and under a load. or if you snap the throttle a couple of times when not in gear.

Edited by ryan23, March 17, 2012 - 07:48 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Please help how?

• ryan23

Posted March 17, 2012 - 07:43 PM

specifically i am wondering what would cause the ticking and the smoking. sorry if i was unclear in my initial post

Edited by ryan23, March 17, 2012 - 07:53 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:30 PM

The noise complaint is hard to answer because healthy YZ450's are notoriously noisy in the first place. If you're not familiar with the bike, It's hard to tell if it has a problem or not. It's best to compare with a couple others, or ask someone who rides one what they think.

Skid plates will make a bunch of noises much more audible, too, so if it has an aftermarket plate, you might want to see what it sounds like without it.

Some noises can be a serious problem, and some can be related to smoking.

You have to be sure if it's oil smoke or steam from burning coolant. They look different, and they smell very different. Which do you think it is?

• ryan23

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:02 PM

thank you for your advice. you were right i checked the skid plate on the bike it was loose and when i tightened it up the noise got consirably quieter as far as the smokeing goes after riding it for a couple of hours the bike does not smoke anymore.

• 2wheelers

Posted March 28, 2012 - 07:24 PM

i got the 08 yz450f and it smokes sometimes when warm but stops after awhile. I was told that when they sit for awhile like mine did the valve stem seals leak and the oil is burnt off when you rev it . not sure if thats your case. Mine doesn't make any tick nose either

• Fast Doc

Posted April 02, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Blue smoke on a cold engine when blipping the throttle that clears when the engine is warm is likely valve seals. If not excessive it is safely ignorable. It can be fixed when the motor is apart later for an overhaul.

I can't comment on the noise.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.