Honda XR 350r Oil Leak Problem

6 replies to this topic
  • evilmonkey77

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hello, I have a 1983 honda xr 350 that has a very bad oil leak from the cylinder head cover at the front of the engine around the spark plug. It only leaks when the engine is running. I have tried using RTV black silicon on the gasket but it didn't help. How can I fix this.

• Horri

Posted March 15, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'll state the obvious..Get a new gasket.

Honda P/N 12391-KAS-901 Part number 8 of the below fiche.

http://www.serviceho...=1983&fveh=4285

How your going to get the cover off to enable you to get the new gasket in is down to you.
I don't know of any secret methods to enable you to get the cover off with the engine in
the frame..Guess you'll need to remove some engine mount bolts and some parts..Carb/Exhaust
maybe to allow the engine to drop enough so you can access whatever bolts need removing so you can install the gasket...Valve/Tappet gaps will need readjusting once you've got everthing back on..
TDC compression stroke and all that palava..

• evilmonkey77

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Im not shure that just replacing the gasket would be enough to fix it because the gasket on now looks fine and has no cracks in it. But if I do get a new gasket should i use any type of gasket sealer like hondabond on it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Horri

Posted March 15, 2012 - 10:10 PM

You can recoat those used gaskets with a sort of copper spray though whether using it on the old gasket in place of a new gasket is debatable. You get it from automotive supply stores. If you've got the cover off I'd go for a new gasket. You do not want to be doing it again should the copper stuff not be up to the job. Yes you can run a coat of Hondabond over both sides of the new gasket and metal if you like,,just don't get carried away as you don't really want it getting squished into the cover area,,ie use a thin coat. I generally use a bit of the same sort of thing even on new gaskets. What I also do is go over the metal surfaces with a 'stone" like you use for sharpening knives/chisel tips. They're as flat as a board so make for a good straightedge to make sure all your metal surfaces are flat. Naturally avoid getting crap into the tappet cover area,,ie,,keep things clean.

Edited by Horri, March 15, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

• evilmonkey77

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Well It turns out that It was not the gasket that was the problem it was missing a cylinder head bolt hole plug that was supposed to stop oil from leaking out. But luckily the part was in a box of parts that came with the bike. After installing I have no leaks at all.

• Michel

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Well It turns out that It was not the gasket that was the problem it was missing a cylinder head bolt hole plug that was supposed to stop oil from leaking out. But luckily the part was in a box of parts that came with the bike. After installing I have no leaks at all.

Mine is always dribbling .... do you have a pict of that part.

you can remove the top with the engine in

Posted Image

• evilmonkey77

Posted July 18, 2012 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

This is the part that was missing on my bike and my bike is a 1984 model so you have to take the engine out in order to get at the top end unlike the 1985 which you can do top end work with the engine in frame.

Edited by evilmonkey77, July 18, 2012 - 12:23 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.