2001 wr426 timing marks..... &%$#@!?

7 replies to this topic
  • SRETSAE

Posted March 14, 2012 - 01:15 PM

http://s1073.photobu...nt=IMG_0317.jpg
only the front mark on the ex cam is inline. the inlet looks retarded?????? what do you think

• SRETSAE

Posted March 14, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I should also mention that this is how iv found the timing marks. im in the process of stripping her but spotted this straight away. cheers guys.

• GCannon

Posted March 15, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Looks perfectly normal. WR timing Both outer dots line up with the valve cover gasket surface. What is the problem again?

• SRETSAE

Posted March 15, 2012 - 12:03 PM

http://i1073.photobu...ae/IMG_0317.jpg

sorry heres another pic directly of the inlet cam. wheres the mark gone?
i thought that the top mark was supposed to be at 12 o clock aswell?
cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted March 15, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Do not use the top mark (12: o clock) there is nothing to index that mark with use the dots and the gasket surface of the head. Just like in the manual.

• SRETSAE

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:46 AM

I understand this but the inlet cam mark is well behind the case out of view.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's never perfect like it reads in the manual. They are always slightly off like yours is. Yours does seem a little more off than usual so I would say it's time for a new cam chain. Your chain is probably stretched a little. Or possibly the cam chain tensioner isn't as good as it once was and not putting the right amount of pressure.
What's the history of the bike? Lots and lots of hours?
Have these parts been changed before?

Replace them if you don't know just to be safe.

• SRETSAE

Posted March 18, 2012 - 01:44 AM

YEA CHEERS. ID ALREADY MADE UP MY MIND TO REPLACE THE CHAIN. THATS WHAT ID FIGURED :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.