'98 WR400 Rebuild options

23 replies to this topic
  • nnamssorxela

Posted April 08, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks! I plan on checking up with the replating shop, the manual, a yamaha dealer, and of course the internet to see what the general consensus is for break-in, since I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on what is best (motoman, etc.).

I will be sure to update this thread as well as my others (it's been a problem for a while) once I get it all figured out.

Thanks again for your help.

Also, the piston pin had some visible wear lines and it stuck a little when coming out, so I hope that didn't wear the end of the rod at all. I will check for piston "rock" when I get the new piston and pin installed.

• nnamssorxela

Posted April 13, 2012 - 02:00 PM

The parts came in today. The old and new piston are a little bit different in terms of valve reliefs. Will this cause any issues?
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RasmusDK

Posted April 14, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Dont know how close the piston goes to the valves, but those are there for a reason i guess :-/

• nnamssorxela

Posted April 14, 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was mainly focusing on the area of the 3 intake valves. If you look at the old piston you can see that there are individually cut out, where as the new piston has all 3 intake valves sharing one edge. The center also appears to be the slightest bit higher on the new one. Hoping an expert can chime in here.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.