YZ426f 4th gear gone

3 replies to this topic
  • TeamBigCrank

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:04 AM

4th gear is gone in my 2001 Yz426f. It happend when I was on a wheelie shifting from 3rd to 4th with no clutch. Its just plain ole not there anymore. Any ideas on what parts I may need? How complicated is it to fix? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Depends on what's broken. Most likely the 3rd and 4th pinions (on the main shaft) and the forward shift fork at a minimum. Of course, you'll want to carefully check the bearings while you're in there. The complication is that the entire engine excluding the head itself has to be disassembled.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeeCee

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:43 PM

I am presently doing the 4th gear on my 400 which I suspect will be very similar to the 426.

I noticed a whine when riding in 4th which gradually got worse.

When I stripped the transmission both 4th gears had lost their hardening and were quite badly worn, fortunately no other damage and the shift fork was fine (before the repair there was no history of jumping gears).

As Gray says, the complete engine has to come apart so it is well worthwhile to consider replacing bearings, seals, cam chain etc.

• bluesbiker

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:52 AM

i started with my gear box jumping out of 5th oh how i so wisshed id left it jumoing £1400 later 1200 in parts

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.