Fork Seal replacemant 2004 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • gary60

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:33 PM

i OWN A 2004 yz450f AND I READ A FORUM ON HERE HOW TOO. But it was for a 2002. Would it be the same . I was told that it can be done by ur average rider?

• kpersonius264

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Im not sure but if your seal is only leaking and not blown I would recommend the seal mate. they work pretty well

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted March 13, 2012 - 06:00 PM

i OWN A 2004 yz450f AND I READ A FORUM ON HERE HOW TOO. But it was for a 2002. Would it be the same . I was told that it can be done by ur average rider?

Download a manual. You will need a couple special tools, but they will more than pay for themselves after the first use.
Look on rockymountainmc.com for the Tusk brand fork cap tool (big wrench for the top) and a fork seal driver. As long as you have a metric wrench set you are ready to go!
You need a seal set, fork oil, a can of parts cleaner to clean out the tubes, and some patience. they are VERY easy and if you take a few minutes to figure them out you will save big!

As the above post suggests, if you haven't lost too much oil you should try cleaning debris from the seal before you take them apart. Pop off the dust seal, which is the ring that is visible with the fork on the bike. You can pry it off with a small flat blade, being carful not to damage it. I use a feeler gauge to clean them, but you can buy a seal mate or use an old film nagative too. Stick the feeler gauge up into the fork and run it all the way around the tube a time or two. If you just have some debris in there keeping the seal from making good contact with the tube then the feeler gauge may dislodge it and stop the leakage.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:48 AM

You don't need a special wrench for the fork caps on an '04, just a 19mm box end. You also do not need to remove the base valve or damper cartridge from the lower tube in order to change the fluid or the fork seals.

• bryawn

Posted March 15, 2012 - 01:08 PM

It's not a bad idea to change the seals and put in fresh oil every year or two, depending on how much you ride. I use the SealMate every few rides just to keep the seals cleaned out.

Once you have a few tools, the job itself goes pretty quickly. A 48 mm seal driver is a must...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.