HELP PLEASE! Want multi-purpose bike XR 650 vs...

9 replies to this topic
  • bultaco

Posted October 12, 2003 - 07:50 PM

Would like to get back into off road riding...also could use a bike to commute to work on (40 mile highway, one way)Have a car...Large, newer Ford Taurus...sucks gas. Really have heard wonderful things about the XR. Not sure that even at 60 MPH and multipurpose tires, the XR 650 would serve well on the commute...swap tires/rims and use on the weekends for off road fun. Would prefer to just have one bike...two would be expensive...ie, used Suzuki Zatana/or Bandit for 3-4K plus a recent or new XR650 for off road...Is it just not appropriate to put that kind of wear on the XR with that commute distance? Perhaps swap car for better gas milage car and just get XR...stay away from street riding even though I have experience with it...Thanks for the insight, Joe

• Moredesert

Posted October 12, 2003 - 09:20 PM

Joe,

Where do you live? If your thinking of 101, 880, 580, 680 then I would have to say NO. I've taken my bike on those freeways and only ride in the slow lane. Even with the bike geared up it has a tough time with everyone driving 75mph past you. I just don't feel safe. After all the bay area roads suck. If I were to ride to work in the bay area on a bike I would want something bigger. Don't get me wrong the XR is perfict for what your talking about but not on the bay area freeways.

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 13, 2003 - 08:15 AM

One bike, two personalities: XR650L.

Do the recommended hop-ups, add a 4.3 tank, different tires and you are SET. Add an extra set of rims and tires with a larger rear sprocket for dirt and now you talkin'. It sure is a lot cheaper than TWO bikes.

• beer_studd_76

Posted October 13, 2003 - 11:20 AM

this is JMHO:

if your finances are such that commuting in your taurus is a financial strain, then maybe now is not the time for you to get back into the sport.

also, no real off-road capable dual sport is cut out for a one way 40 mile commute. again, JMHO.

jeremiah

• XR/CRDave

Posted October 13, 2003 - 08:34 PM

I was just in San Fran last thurs - sun. You definately need a motorcycle just to get through all the traffic!, what a mess, awesome city though.

I talked to a guy briefly that rides his 650R from LongBeach to South Irvine every day. Probably around 35 miles one way. He said he has had no problems.

I agree with the other posts, for long term it would be better to get a street oriented bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jstevens

Posted October 15, 2003 - 04:03 PM

I ride the roads also, and would have to suggest that you don't depend on a dual-sport bike to get you "to and from" work everyday 40 miles one way. I think that's pushing the limits, depending on the traffic conditions you can get messed up out there. Drivers are crazy these days, and a 40 mile commute in stop and go traffic just doesn't seem reasonable or smart. Skip it and stay with your car. Get a bike to ride the stree local to your home and play in the dirt when possible. It's alot easier to get crushed on the street then it is to hurt yourself in the dirt. Make your future use of an XR your toy, not a dedicated commuter vehical.

:)

• 2wheels

Posted October 15, 2003 - 05:05 PM

plus those rain storms would suck on a bike, let alone a dirtbike in stop and go on the freeway ....theres got to be a good deal on an older xr w/plate for the occasional cruise to work :)

• smashinz2002

Posted October 15, 2003 - 08:38 PM

XR 650R is NO freeway bike, even when dual sported. 40 miles on the freeway won't hurt the bike, but believe me, it's not comfortable for that far on the road at 70+ mph.
Also your Ford Taurus will get better mileage anyway, if the 650R is uncorked. The 650R only get's around 20-25 mpg when uncorked. The 650L is a much better choice for the type of commute your talking about.
If anyone disagrees with this, please let me know, because I would love to find a good way to make my 650R a good alternative to driving to work. So far it's not happening.
Even though my bike kicks ass for weekend around town use, and of course off-roading it can't be compared to the "L".

• Ed_Buratti

Posted October 16, 2003 - 05:54 AM

Definitely get the XR650L. Also, find back streets/roads and enjoy. I spent a year (6000+ miles) riding mine to work and on trails/woods. I had Kenda Trakmasters and they were a little loud on the road, but worked ok. You might want to try the K270's. They're not too bad off-road, but pretty good on the street. Also, do the uncorking mods. I regularly rode my bike 45 miles to work in the morning, then about 20 miles on the way home (Yeah, I took the long way to work just about every time). Then I got a street bike and don't ride the XR to work any more, but that's a different story.

• marbee

Posted October 23, 2003 - 08:40 PM

I've got the L. Ride 22 miles one way daily in south San Diego. I leave at 6:00 and come home around 4:30. I don't have to put up with traffic and REGULARLY hit 70mph for long stretches (Coronado Strand, I-5, I-905, I-805). Occasionally, I lane-split for short stretches. Not bad, but I don't enjoy it. I'm a big feller at 220/6' and rear end gets a little sore by the end of the trip....not BAD, just a little. This is only 44 miles a day. I have other vehicles/bikes to ride, but choose the shiny new red one in the garage. It LOOKS cool, honks out serious wheelies, and gets reasonable mileage. I still have the stock tank and after a week of riding, am ready to find a Clarke or IMS. I go about 80 miles before the reserve cuts in. That ain't far enough for you if you're going as many miles as you mentioned. You WILL need a bigger tank. I personally like the factory tires, as I can take a dirt road any old time, but with 80 miles a day....I'd get more streetable tires.
Yes, its a hoot to ride, but you WILL be driving your car occasionally. Riding a bike in any kind of traffic or at freeway speeds requires ALL your skills. Driving the cage to work requires half yur brain and a good cup of coffee. Think about these things before you invest in a "toy".

Good luck!
Marbee

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.