Which WR 450cold start procedure actually works?

9 replies to this topic
  • xrberg

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:19 AM

did a search..lots of opinions

What is the definative coldstart method for a 07-10 wr 450F ?
Is there a factory suggested cold start method?

I'm tired of fighten it...

thanks

• Stealth13

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Open the choke, give the throttle 3 full turns to full throttle . Release the throttle and try and start . If it doesn't start give it 1 more full throttle and keep trying . Works for me

• bg10459

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:04 PM

Open the choke, give the throttle 3 full turns to full throttle . Release the throttle and try and start . If it doesn't start give it 1 more full throttle and keep trying . Works for me

step 1. get pilot jetted properly. Step 2. get starter jet jetted on the rich side. Step 3. follow above :thumbsup:

• Stealth13

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Mine has stock jets and starts in negative temperatures now :thumbsup:

• travertt

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:41 PM

step 1. get pilot jetted properly. Step 2. get starter jet jetted on the rich side. Step 3. follow above

Assuming its not -20 outside.....Then as described above except four twists of the throttle, and then a fifth if required, is what works on my bike. If that doesn't work...kick it..if it's set up correctly it will start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Summit

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:20 AM

I started my 05 the other day, hadn't been run since November. Tip it over towards you for a couple seconds until you see gas run out the overflow, set back up straight, one throttle twist, fired on secong crank from elec. starter. I never use kick starter, don't have to.

• Snarfie

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:58 AM

I started my 05 the other day, hadn't been run since November. Tip it over towards you for a couple seconds until you see gas run out the overflow, set back up straight, one throttle twist, fired on secong crank from elec. starter. I never use kick starter, don't have to.

Yep, this is exactly right. If your bike is jetted correctly, it will fire right up every time.

• stuntheavy

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:00 PM

mine hasn't had electric start in ages. After the 400cc days, and those nightmares....I'm a bit shy about flooding my 03 wr450. I put the choke on, cycle it over with the kickstart a few times, bring it up to compression, and usually first kick, if it's an enthusiastic one, is enough to make her fire up. I've always had bad luck ripping on a 4-strokes throttle, but thats just me

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:41 PM

did a search..lots of opinions

What is the definative coldstart method for a 07-10 wr 450F ?
Is there a factory suggested cold start method?

I'm tired of fighten it...

thanks

Step one: un-cork intake and exhaust, and re-jet
Step two: choke on, three twists, press the button

It's not Rocket Surgery.

• L. Euler

Posted March 17, 2012 - 03:51 AM

Twist the throttle first does not work for me. Floods the cylinder. I pull the choke and hit the button, fires on first compression nearly every time.

Edited by GammaFunction, March 18, 2012 - 06:23 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.