Desert Tank Solutions?

4 replies to this topic
  • yahmee-haha

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:56 PM

So I bought a 3.1 gal. desert tank for my 07 YZ 450 last year. It's an Acerbis clear tank and I like it because there's no need to stop to check fuel level and it holds quite a bit more fuel than my stock tank. The tank extends far forward and has two bolt holes on either side to bolt to the radiator supports, so it takes place of the plastic shrouds with a stock set-up. With the forward extension there is a small problem... there's about a quarter of a gallon worth of fuel that I can't even access (unless I'm riding a wheelie) because it sits below the petcock. So I removed the petcock and did a little modification and ran two vinyl lines to reach the deep reaches of the tank. My question is will I be able to draw the remaining fuel up and then down to the carburetor. Some people think that because this is gravity feed that it won't work. I wonder if there's enough vacuum to make this work like i think it should. If anyone has anything to add, please do. I guess I could always find out through trial and error.

• EnglertRacing

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:24 AM

Vacume no. Well there should be siphon, the carbs is lower than the lowest part of the tank so gravity will pull that while sitting still but I have a feeling that while riding and going over bumps when the needle and seat opens and your down to your portion of the tank below petcock it will loose its prime. As long as the lines are not trash its not going to hurt to try. The real fix would be to add another petcock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:36 AM

IF the flow from the upward looped lines manages to establish a bubble-free line of flow to the carb before the level drops that low, it will then work as a siphon does and pull fuel from the low spot. If the stream is interrupted by even a small amount of air through vibration, etc., the siphon will be "broken", and it will drain no farther than the highest point in the lines you added.

• yahmee-haha

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the insight. I did think about adding another petcock valve, but I was having trouble finding a suitable place to mount one on the tank fins. I guess I'll try this set-up and see how it goes. Even though I can't use every bit of fuel in the tank I can still travel over 70 miles on a fill and that is very acceptable.

• poppa

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:35 PM

possibly join the bottoms of each side at there lowest point, then tee it into the fuel line below the petcock, with a valve before the last connect prior to the petcock?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.