09 yz450f chain broke, cracked case...Is it repairable?

10 replies to this topic
  • moto623x

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Was riding this weekend, came down off jump and chain broke...had the stock case guard on which did nothing and now have a crack right at the clutch shaft. Can this be welded or do I have to replace both cases?

• VetRacer75

Posted March 11, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Was riding this weekend, came down off jump and chain broke...had the stock case guard on which did nothing and now have a crack right at the clutch shaft. Can this be welded or do I have to replace both cases?

Can you upload a photo so we can have a close look?
I have had good success welding these magnesium cases with AC TIG, but depends on the severity and positioning of the crack/smash.

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:58 PM

...depends on the severity and positioning of the crack/smash.

More so than usual with the YZF, because oil pressure to the trans is fed right past the clutch release arm.

• 2-Stix

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:38 PM

i welded that on a crf450 once

• moto623x

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:45 AM

http://i1078.photobu...use83/photo.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...se83/photo2.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:48 AM

A good aluminum welder should be able to fix that up for you.

• moto623x

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Would you have to split the cases and weld from inside? or can you do it from outside?

• woods-rider

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Split the cases for sure or you run the risk of damaging seals etc. with the heat. But I think welding from the outside should be fine.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:11 AM

It's really going to depend on how things turn out. You can attempt that repair from outside, although I would plan on replacing the output shaft seal and the clutch release arm seal. You should also remove the clutch pressure plate so that you can draw the push rod out of place and pull the release arm up and out during the weld operation. Then see if the arm goes back in and rotates smoothly. There is a bearing below the seal that could become misshapen or otherwise damaged if the heat is too great or the bore distorted. I recommend using a welder who is also a machinist so that he will better be able to appreciate the situation.

It's hard to tell where exactly the crack is, but it doesn't look too bad from what I can see. If I'm right about that, the repair should go fairly well.

• MxSkater86

Posted March 12, 2012 - 02:04 PM

If the arm and shaft is steel you should be able to weld the outside with the shaft in there so it will be able to maintain its shape. I did it once on a 06 YZ 250 and it worked and mine looked a lot worse than that.

• 2-Stix

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:38 PM

mine was way worse also...i caught a rock on me year chain guide and it sheared off, threw the chain into the cases as it hopped off the rear sprocket. it went dead stop...my tranny shifter inside the cases broke, my chain guide was sheared off and the swing arm, and i broke the case saver off that mounted to the cases and sheared that portion off. your in WAY better shape than i am.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.