what to do to my 2004 kx 250

18 replies to this topic
  • emccone

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:01 PM

hey guys I just picked up a mint 2004 kx 250. it is all stock except the bars and rear tire. I am a beginner and are looking for some simple mods to help it out. and any recommendations in mixtures for gas and oil!
thanks, Eric

• cantpassthis

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:35 PM

leave it mostly stock, run high quality oil at 40:1. the best mod you will ever do is get springs that suit your weight and speed.

Edited by cantpassthis, March 10, 2012 - 08:38 PM.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:43 PM

By a Service manual from Kawasaki and read it cover to cover.
Set your sag/match your springs
Change your oil every 5 hours
Learn how to properly adjust the chain (with someone compressing the shock)
Learn what tire pressure works best for you.

• Blackwoodz

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:01 AM

hey guys I just picked up a mint 2004 kx 250. it is all stock except the bars and rear tire. I am a beginner and are looking for some simple mods to help it out. and any recommendations in mixtures for gas and oil!
thanks, Eric

Previous posted stated running 40:1....but If it is oem stock jetting 40:1 will cause the bike to run rich of fuel. I prefer Amsoil Dominator at 32:1.
I would also buy a manual or pm me and I will send you my email to link to a pdf. manual for it.

• emccone

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:46 AM

here are some pictures of it!

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

• TurnerR

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:13 AM

Do you ride woods or mx or both? If you ride woods, I would slap some Bark Busters on pronto. If you are an MX rider, ASV unbreakable levers are a great investment. I have both on my woods bike and love them.

Do you have spare air filters, cleaners, and oil for them?

I'd buy some spark plugs, premix oil, Transmission oil (I use ATF type-F, very common and inexpensive) and some good marine grease. Take the bike apart, learn how everything works and grease all of your bearings and axles.

Brakes look ok? Good pads?? If so, grab some brake fluid and flush your systems. I like Braided stainless brake lines, but they aren't mandatory. I haven't thrown any on my new bike yet.

Gearing feel ok, and chain look good? I like stock gearing, some go up or down on the back, some drop or raise the front one. That is all up to what you prefer.

Hows the throttle feel when you twist it, smooth? If not, a good cleaning or replacement throttle tube and good cleaning/lube of the cables will help ya out. Same goes for clutch cables.

Speaking of, when you twist the throttle is there any bog, hesitation or anything odd going on? Pull the plug and see how it looks, just double check your jetting is on for where you live.

You picked up a nice bike man!!! I picked up an 03 earlier this year and love it! I have a flywheel weight in the mail which you may want to look into. Next purchase is a Rekluse, check those out too. As far as mods to make you go fast, I would leave the engine alone, and first things first. SUSPENSION. Have fun with it man!!!

• SilvFx

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:21 AM

very nice looking stock bike. First thing I do with the bikes that I buy for my kids is buy some aftermarket radiator shrouds that are reasonably priced. Take off the OEM shrouds (with the VERY expensive OEM decals) and put them away. Put on the aftermarket shrouds without decals. I do this because it seems like the very first ride involves a couple of drops/spills and scratched up shrouds/decals. I am just very picky about being able to put the bike back to "OEM look" whenever I want to sell it or whenever crashing is minimized. I just checked the OEM parts fiche for the '04 KX250 and see that at discounted prices (not list price . . I checked at www.ronayers.com which has some very good prices for OEM parts), the OEM decals are $70 and the shroud $41 PER SIDE.

Since you mentioned you are a beginner, I suspect you will have some spills/falls before you get used to it. It's all in the throttle control. Learn to ride it on easy terrain where you can focus on clutching, shifting, gassing, braking etc so it becomes second nature. Then, you are ready to handle tougher terrain when the throttle/brake/clutch interplay is second nature during difficult riding situations.

I think all the other the advice given above is very good.

• emccone

Posted March 12, 2012 - 11:27 AM

yeah i am riding woods and the guy said it has a heavier flywheel on it. but i have no clue. i am going to get the manual and put all spec oils and lubricant into it to see if its alright. the clutch is a little sticky when just starting to go. any ideas? maybe just the oil. i wil let you knwo how it comes out and only got it for 1800!

• TurnerR

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:41 PM

yeah i am riding woods and the guy said it has a heavier flywheel on it. but i have no clue. i am going to get the manual and put all spec oils and lubricant into it to see if its alright. the clutch is a little sticky when just starting to go. any ideas? maybe just the oil. i wil let you knwo how it comes out and only got it for 1800!

I can't remember if the flywheel weights on the 04 models come with a spacer from steahly, so that would be a give away if it had it. If not I'd pull the cover and check. It could be other brands, Steahly is just a very common, well built product. I have a 13oz, 11's work great for woods also. The clutch could be a few things, I would start with changing the oil to ATF type-F or your favorite oil. Amsoil makes great products and Yamalube is my third favorite. All what you prefer. The Amsoil and Yamalube are just $$$$ tho.... I change mine after every race or every trail ride. My trail days are usually 6-10 hours of heavy abuse tho. I would also seriously advise cleaning and lubing your cables and levers. Preventative maintenence will make a bike last a long long time and give you a whole lot of fun. $1,800 is a good price for such a well kept machine. Nice find!!!

• Hogdgz

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:46 AM

Nice bike!!!

• MaxPower

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:30 AM

I know 3 people that installed the Black Ops Moto ignition coil. One guy got it for his Vintage 83 YZ250. Everyone was surprised by the results of a simple coil change. So that led our other friend to get a coil for his 200 KTM. Worked even better on that bike. That lead our other friend to put one on his Al framed YZ. All got them from ebay. If they knew how good they worked they could have ordered them all together and got a better price. If I didnt see my other friends willing to part with thier money and if I didnt get to try it for myself on the YZ I dont think I would have believed how much better it made the motor run.

• emccone

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I can't remember if the flywheel weights on the 04 models come with a spacer from steahly, so that would be a give away if it had it. If not I'd pull the cover and check. It could be other brands, Steahly is just a very common, well built product. I have a 13oz, 11's work great for woods also. The clutch could be a few things, I would start with changing the oil to ATF type-F or your favorite oil. Amsoil makes great products and Yamalube is my third favorite. All what you prefer. The Amsoil and Yamalube are just $$$$ tho.... I change mine after every race or every trail ride. My trail days are usually 6-10 hours of heavy abuse tho. I would also seriously advise cleaning and lubing your cables and levers. Preventative maintenence will make a bike last a long long time and give you a whole lot of fun. $1,800 is a good price for such a well kept machine. Nice find!!!

hey what type of ATF type f oil are you using? a friend recommended it too and it's so cheap!

• HolyKaw810

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:45 PM

i get mine at wal-mart usually

• emccone

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:51 PM

i get mine at wal-mart usually

any specific brands??

• HolyKaw810

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:06 AM

walmart brand. i believe it is called pro-tech. but any brand will due cause i believe the same company makes it for everyone.

• jkenney177

Posted March 17, 2012 - 05:21 AM

walmart brand. i believe it is called pro-tech. but any brand will due cause i believe the same company makes it for everyone.

walmart brand is fine, its called super-tech

• HolyKaw810

Posted March 17, 2012 - 05:53 AM

walmart brand is fine, its called super-tech

thanks, i knew it had tech in it. lol couldn't remember 100% my bikes been apart so long so, i haven't got any lately and forgot what it was called.

Edited by bansheedave, March 17, 2012 - 04:20 PM.

• TurnerR

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yep Super-Tech from walmart is what I use. I used to live right next to an autozone and used their brand as well. No problems with either brand for me.

• Greenisbest

Posted March 20, 2012 - 03:15 AM

If it's stock jeting you need to run 32:1 or it will cause it to run lean or rich.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

01 KX-125 has no power! HELPPP by crhyne1994

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 KX125 Project...What The He** Am I Doing?!?!?! by Bombo

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Sweet KX by nicko-31

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Easy question for KX250 gurus! by sandy450

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.