02XR650R RUNS LIKE A DOG!!! HELP!!!1

13 replies to this topic
  • bg520

Posted October 12, 2003 - 10:43 AM

I just bought a 02 XR650R from a dealer used. It has hardly been ridden. The dealer told me it has been uncorked with the power-up kit; airbox, White Bros R4 exhaust, intake manifold change, and 175 main jet, but it runs like a dog!! My old XR600 was faster. Everything I have read on these posts say it is bone stock and needs uncorking, but it already has been and it is absolutely powerless!! The motor feels like it is starving and it is very very dull. What in the #%*&@% is going on??????!!!!! I could only ride it around in the parking lot at the dealer and so couldn't tell how she would really run. I am ordering an Edelbrock pumper carb on Mondy, will that fix all of this or is something else going on??? With the airbox opened up and the R4 which is completely free flowing do I need a bigger main jet??? HELP!!!

Thanks,

David :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted October 12, 2003 - 12:40 PM

Hard to say what the problem is. My 650 ran real bad past a 1/3 throttle after it sat all last summer w/ fuel in the carb. I had started it before taking to Glamis last Oct. and it was fine idling in the driveway so off I went to the desert and the first ride I barely got out of camp when I found out, lucky I have 2 bikes. When I got it home it took 3 trys to get it cleaned out and to run right.
I would check for over oiled air filter and from there check the airbox and then the carb.
Also I feel that your dealer should fix this for you since you just bought it, used or not, it needs to run right when you buy from a dealer.

• Moredesert

Posted October 12, 2003 - 03:24 PM

Dave,

I don't trust the dealers. Maybe the guy that traded it in was a fool and didn't know what he was doing. I would start from scratch and check all the mods. Did he replace the intake? I would also check the valves. Tight valves can do that too.

The bike is a beast, but only if everything has been done right. Miss one thing and everything is out of spec. Look for the vacuumn plug on the intake port. If I remember right mine fell off so I pulled the barb and put in a set screw to plug it.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 12, 2003 - 08:12 PM

I have an 02 that does't run near as fast as my 00 did. I did the power up kit myself so I know its right. I also added a hotcam. Its a good bike but I do believe they very from bike to bike but it should not be a dog. Like has already been suggested check the intake manifold to make sure it was changed to the power up manifold. Check the valves to make sure they are not too tight. Take your air filter out and make sure it doesn't have too much filter oil in it. If it is excessively heavy clean it and put the filter oil in your self making sure you wring out any excess oil. Make sure it actually has a 175 Jet although I found mine always runs snappier with a 172 jet. The XR650 is one all around great thumper.

• smashinz2002

Posted October 12, 2003 - 08:31 PM

Man,, that's weird! My '00 650R uncorked is so brutal it feels just like a CR500 with no "hit". Something is seriously wrong, because when you ride a 650R uncorked, you should be struggling to keep your butt on the seat.
I thought about what you said, and I agree with the other guys, go in, and re-do the entire uncorking process, because something is wrong. I don't trust dealers, they are usually idiots. The jetting could be totally off, the needle could be set way off, or any number of other problems. RE-DO the uncorking procedure by the Book, no skipped steps, and check the valves, vents, everything.
Uncorking done properly will result in a beastly bike with a trigger happy throttle response at low and mid rpm's.
You do NOT need the Edelbrock Carb to experience the brute power of the 650R, if getting the power correct is what you are after. Sounds like you have an improperly uncorked bike instead. Good luck with it, I hope you get it running right!
L.L.

P.S. XR600s, which I have ridden before, can't touch an uncorked 650R, not even in the same league. But they are great bikes!! Just not as fast, at all. The Edelbrock carb is great, but I don't think it's worth the cost and work to install unless you race the bike or ride aggressively off road where the stock carb is crap in that area, sputtering over jumps and stuff.

• Moredesert

Posted October 12, 2003 - 09:07 PM

One more thing I just thought of, what gearing do you have? I found with 13/47 the bike was slow and had a hard time getting the front wheel off the ground. It would climb a tree but was slow like a tractor. Now with Baja gearing 15/47 the bike is a beast. With tall gearing I can pull the front wheel off the ground in almost any gear because of the strong pull it has. :)

• bg520

Posted October 12, 2003 - 09:33 PM

Guys, thanks for all of your comments. It's nice to know that the bike really should scream when properly set-up. I took it all apart today and the airbox looks right compared to pictures that I have seen on the web, I took off the carb and it has the right manifold there and I checked the MJ and it is a 175. I didn't check the needle positon though. I will do that and then it is back to the dealer to try to get him to figue it out. I think that he is going to be a d*%k about it, but I will try diplomacy first and then I will have to threaten him with fraud and a lawsuit. But, the bike seems like it is starving and very restricted...very strange. I am going to check the needle and try a larger MJ and then take it back to him. If you think that there is anything else that could be helpful PLEASE let me know! I will post what happens.

Thanks again,

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted October 13, 2003 - 10:22 AM

What dealer did you buy it from?
Let us know!!!

• qadsan

Posted October 13, 2003 - 12:55 PM

Check your spark plug to make sure it fires a nice strong blue spark as opposed to a weak yellow spark. I read about a XR650R where the ignition wiring harness had shorted underneath the tank and the result was a weak spark.

Also check the valve adjustment to make sure they're in spec, then make sure the decomp is within spec and adjust as necessary.

Please let us know how things are going and how it turns out. Good luck!

• SImon520

Posted October 13, 2003 - 11:45 PM

Makes a BIG difference with these bikes. Screw the pilot screw in till it seats, and back it out 1 and a half turns. Works for me.

SImon

• Grimmer

Posted October 14, 2003 - 05:52 AM

If your valves are adjusted correctly....? Sounds to me like you may have a clogged exhuast. Keep checking what everyone else suggested first and then check that exhuast. Is the exhuast note deep and throaty and loud does it bark when you hit the gas?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 16, 2003 - 10:18 PM

Oh, also do check the needle. If they left the stock needle in then the clip should be 4th from the top. If they put the power up needle in then it should be the 3rd from the top. By they way they often run as doggy with an over oiled air filter as they do with no air filter at all. Both are extremes to be avoided. :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 18, 2003 - 05:26 PM

I forgot this in my previous post, but if the float level is too low they tend to flood the bike out and it will run doggy. They come from the factory with a float level that is too low. After riding them them on rough trails or jumps the float level will get even worse. So if you ride alot expect to have to occassionly adjust the float level. Do not set it up to factory spec but raise the float level by about 2mm or so. :)

• Moredesert

Posted October 19, 2003 - 05:28 PM

I forgot this in my previous post, but if the float level is too low they tend to flood the bike out and it will run doggy. They come from the factory with a float level that is too low. After riding them them on rough trails or jumps the float level will get even worse. So if you ride alot expect to have to occassionly adjust the float level. Do not set it up to factory spec but raise the float level by about 2mm or so. :D

That doesn't sound right :D If the float level is low how could it flood the bike, less gas = low :)
Do you mean when you have the carb in your hands upside down and the float is lower. That would make sence because the float level would be higher and would have more gas to spill into the carb as you discribed when on the bike. I picture float level with the carb on the bike right :D

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.