What happened to my starter?

9 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:15 PM

It was working perfect for the last while and now when I try and start , the green led just flickers and i hear a clicking sound...

this happened after I went into a bunch of mud and doing some offroading.

My enduro kit lights are all working perfectly

• td42ti

Posted March 10, 2012 - 03:15 PM

Year model? Age etc?

• Stealth13

Posted March 10, 2012 - 03:43 PM

2006 wr450. Mostly stock with enduro kit

• td42ti

Posted March 10, 2012 - 03:55 PM

First I would check the battery for a full charge and then all the connections to the battery. I low battery will still keep minor electrics working but doesn't have the amps to crank the starter over.

• Stealth13

Posted March 10, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'll check but I just rode like 60km and it should have charged easily by then

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • td42ti

Posted March 10, 2012 - 06:05 PM

How old is the battery? They can die very quickly. If there is a loose connection it may not be charging properly. Otherwise it could be the starter solenoid, but the flickering LED and clicking points to low/tired battery to me.
Sometimes batteries just die and need replacing.

• Stealth13

Posted March 10, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hopefully not the battery it is a month old. I'll check it's voltage tomorrow

• drdfblackm

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Oddly enough, I had same problem, don't forget to check the actual stater button....mine was bad....found out after doing test after test after test even changed the starter solinoid....stupid $12 part.

• Stealth13

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:22 PM

What was yours doing exactly?

• travertt

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Oddly enough, I had same problem, don't forget to check the actual stater button....mine was bad....found out after doing test after test after test even changed the starter solinoid....stupid $12 part.

Different bike, but my riding buddies carburated Husqvarna had the same problem as you, and a new starter switch fixed it. You said it happened after being in a "bunch of mud"...you may have some dirt embedded in the switch. If you cannot disassemble and clean the switch, try a new one..like [color=#011A4D]drdfblackm[/color] said...a relatively cheap part.

You may also want to try just disconnecting the leads from the starter switch and jumping them (pretend you're stealing it) and see if it starts or at least turns over properly. If it does, you have your answer...a bad starter switch. If it still behaves the same way then you can eliminate the switch as the source of the problem.

But first make certain you have a good battery....just because its freshly charged doesn't mean its still good.

Edited by travertt, March 12, 2012 - 07:42 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.