Problems...

51 replies to this topic
  • Blaker454

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:42 PM

I had my 04 kx250f rebuilt (my dad picked it up for me due to my job and didnt try to start it) when I got home I tried to start the bike it will rarely start and only will run for seconds if that.. It sounds very bogged down for the brief seconds that it does start I havent got a clue on what the problem is I just picked up a manual for it and would greatley appreciate any help I can get thanks.

• Joshx221

Posted March 08, 2012 - 06:13 PM

What all was rebuilt? Did the bike run before?

• cfwood39

Posted March 08, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Maybe a good carb cleaning and check your jets?? Good starting point perhaps.

• Blaker454

Posted March 09, 2012 - 06:20 AM

It had a cracked right case replaced and then totally rebuilt, the bike ran before that... I will prob check the carb and jets also the spark tonight hopefully

• nickkx_f

Posted March 09, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Check your timming to see if it's spot on. I had one of my bikes motors get worked on a while back and sounded like what your problem is and it was out of timming by one tooth. Would start but would bog and pop and cut out. Just make sure all your timming marks are lined up befor your jump into the carb.

• D-K

Posted March 09, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yeah double check the timing.

And when older bikes sit for some time when being rebuilt the carbs usually gum up with varnish. Clean it out.

• Blaker454

Posted March 09, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thanks guys I will check some of that tonight it sounds like the timing

• Blaker454

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Didnt get a chance to work on it tonight due to some bs all day tommorow is there any youtube videos instead of the damn manual

• dmay4

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:29 PM

If you paid someone to do the work take it back and ask them what is the problem. If you start trouble shooting and kind ID the problem once you do take back they can say this is a new issue and you created it. Besides if you paid for a bike that should run why waste your time tinkering with it.,

• Joshx221

Posted March 09, 2012 - 06:30 PM

If you paid someone to do the work take it back and ask them what is the problem. If you start trouble shooting and kind ID the problem once you do take back they can say this is a new issue and you created it. Besides if you paid for a bike that should run why waste your time tinkering with it.,

Sometimes its better to just bite the bullet than take it back to someone who was supposed to fix it right the first time and trust them to "fix" it again. Not only that whose to say they dont just say it was a new/different problem and charge you again anyway. Timming, valve clearance, carb, spark. Start with the basics and go from there.

• dmay4

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I like to tinker and fix myself if I can but if I had paid for a job to be done would like to get the job I had paid for. But that is right they may find another whole problem, that is why I think its good to find a trustworthy local place then hopefully this never happens.

• Blaker454

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:28 AM

I don't think I'll take it back to him I am just gonna try to figure this out on my own right now I'm checking the timing, valves, spark, and carb I have the maintenance manual for the bike I want to be able to do this stuff on my own instead of spending extra $ for a shop to do it I never should have sold my old bikes

• Blaker454

Posted March 10, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Bike was severely out of time... camshafts are different than what the manual shows them being don't know if that's a problem also when I go to put the timing chain on the bike does it have to stay at tdc till I put the tensioner back in?? I'm new to this and also the manual is not very informing of this... I hopefully will have everything done tomorrow if this is the problem

• NetKarts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Make sure the bike is TDC when you put the ex cam in first, and make sure you have slight tension on the chain from the crank to the ex cam when you slip it under the chain while tipping the cam forward toward the gear end. Once you have the ex side in correctly, count pins per the manual to line up the in side. When you think you have them both in right, slip your pinky finger slowly into the chain tensioner hole and press lightly against the chain. Line up TDC one more time, check the dots, hopefully good to go.

• Blaker454

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Timing is fixed bought a new CDI Pro Circuit JD Ignitions new spark plug cleaned the carb out and I honestly have never seen a carb as gummed up like that... Bike starts but the second kickstart goes back up the bike dies... I am going to pull the right side off and see if something is wrong in there but that's where I stand as of now guys... Headache...

• vallibirgiss

Posted March 15, 2012 - 01:01 PM

If the Carb was so gummed up i would get new jets ..atleast a pilot jet
Also have you checked your valves ?

• Blaker454

Posted March 15, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Jets replaced valves are good also

• Joshx221

Posted March 16, 2012 - 01:46 AM

Timing is fixed bought a new CDI Pro Circuit JD Ignitions new spark plug cleaned the carb out and I honestly have never seen a carb as gummed up like that... Bike starts but the second kickstart goes back up the bike dies... I am going to pull the right side off and see if something is wrong in there but that's where I stand as of now guys... Headache...

I'm not really understanding this. Are you saying the kickstarter isn't disengaging?

• Blaker454

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm not really understanding this. Are you saying the kickstarter isn't disengaging?

I guess so I'm not sure my friend told me that could be the problem

• Blaker454

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Finally found time for the bike... pulled the right side off and found that the kickstart shaft has alot of freeplay and that I had 2 teeth of a sprocket.... tearing more into it later

Related Content

Forums
Photo

If you had to vote a 250f most reliable by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

250f maintenance and repair costs by champ1e

• Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

'15 YZ250f vs. '15 KX250f by Bryan.711

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

250 4t's vs 125 2t's by Maatt25

• Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Help Choosing a Piston by enduro 4 life

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • Hot  31 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.