Exhaust fitment issue

8 replies to this topic
  • gerard17

Posted March 08, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just made the switch to 4 stroke and already bought an exhaust for it.

I purchased a Dr. D for an 06 YZ and I noticed that it either connects to the mid-pipe or the number plate, its not possible
to connect it at both ends. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this? I'm not looking to ship it back as I hate dealing with all the crap.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• William1

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:49 PM

Well, no one knows what 06 Yamaha you have. 250? 450?
In any case, you have the wrong pipe for whatever bike you have. Details matter.

• The Spanky

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Just made the switch to 4 stroke and already bought an exhaust for it.

I purchased a Dr. D for an 06 YZ and I noticed that it either connects to the mid-pipe or the number plate, its not possible
to connect it at both ends. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this? I'm not looking to ship it back as I hate dealing with all the crap.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Why would you want to connect your exhaust to your number plate? :bonk:

• antleo

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:27 PM

the silencer connects behind the number plate to the sub frame... not sure if thats your issue but it does answer chokey's question

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gerard17

Posted March 09, 2012 - 03:25 PM

sorry for the broad details folks....yes the silencer does connect behind the number plate, I shouldn't assume everyone knows what i'm talking about haha.
Everything is connected properly, the hole from the mid pipe just doesn't seem to line up with the hole on the subframe...its off by a bit

it is an 06 yz450

I though it was the wrong pipe too, but the reciept has the serial number of the pipe..matched up perfectly with the serial number on Dubachs site..correct make/year

• 1fst36

Posted March 09, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not trying to sound like a smart a*$ but get all bolts started loose before u tighten everything. I have seen many people do this not sure if u did or not.

• The Spanky

Posted March 09, 2012 - 04:51 PM

sorry for the broad details folks....yes the silencer does connect behind the number plate, I shouldn't assume everyone knows what i'm talking about haha.
Everything is connected properly, the hole from the mid pipe just doesn't seem to line up with the hole on the subframe...its off by a bit

it is an 06 yz450

I though it was the wrong pipe too, but the reciept has the serial number of the pipe..matched up perfectly with the serial number on Dubachs site..correct make/year

Maybe your subframe is slightly tweaked?

• gerard17

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:17 PM

You don't sound like a smart a$* 1fst36, that's actually good advice, a lot of ppl don't do that but I have, I messed with it for a good 10min..

Now I was thinking along the lines of what Chokey said and have had the rear plastics off the bike, to check the rear subframe, idk though, it all looks good to me? Think maybe I got super unlucky and bought a pipe that wasn't machined to proper spec? Or highly unlikely??

Maybe the subframe is tweaked?? I'll check again, but it sure didn't look like it the first time I did

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:21 PM

This is actually a common issue with the DRD pipe for the '06. One of the two I've bought did it. Peg the silencer mount in place and look at the mount on the sub frame to determine what the misalignment issue is and how far off it is. You'll probably see that the mid pipe is too far to the rear to line up, but not by much.

You may be able to make the assembly by threading the rear bolt in only two turns, and pull the pipe out against the head of the bolt. Then push the pipe forward and thread the front bolt in place. Once it's on and run a few times, it will end up fitting better.

If that doesn't work, you may have to elongate the mount hole with a round file. If it's really way off, call Dubach and explain the problem. They will replace it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.