aftermarket tank

12 replies to this topic
  • XR600DESERTRAT

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I am thinking about getting an IMS 3.1 gallon tank for my 2008 wr 450. My question is will the tank shrouds work with the new tank? It seems that I saw somewhere that only the yz shrouds will work. Any advice from someone who has put the IMS tank on would be appreciated.

• pschiess

Posted March 08, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I put the IMS tank on my 2007 WR450F and yes the stock shrouds will not work and you need to get the YZ shrouds. I went with white plastic and the black tank but that is just personal preference.Posted Image

• XR600DESERTRAT

Posted March 08, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Your bike looks awesome!

• dustdogg

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:00 PM

I would also recommend the Clarke 3.6. Holds more than the IMS, cheaper to buy and allows you to keep the stock WR shrouds. Not knocking the IMS but just pointing out another alternative. I have had this tank on my '07 for a while now and have been very pleased. Worth looking into.

Posted Image

• Stealth13

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:21 PM

What's the stock tank? I drove 100km and it only used 6 liters

• Fruitfarmer231

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:30 AM

I've recently installed an IMS 3.3 or 3.1 gal tank on my 05 WR450, got the translucent model. I got this one mainly because I didn't have to get new shrouds, although it was a bit more expensive than the competition. I've never run out of fuel with the stock tank, depending on running it will likely get a max of 70 miles, but I had an annoying leak with the cap/fuel neck and cap didn't appear to be the problem. The IMS carries the fuel low, lower in fact that the carb, so I'm wondering if I'll actually be able to acces the additional fuel without carrying a wheelie, there is no crossover tube, so when the left side runs dry there could be actually fuel left on the right, assuming I lay the bike over on the left and it will transfer???. Of more concern to me is that the tank encloses the cylinder and there could be some problems with tank getting hot, and or fuel evaporating or a vapor lock?? Don't know if anyone has experience with this or not. One other thing, the kick start lever end fits into a recess in the tank and the end contacts the tank, I can see it possibly wearing a hole in the tank, so I may line the recess with old inner tube or hack off the end of the kickstart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:29 PM

I have the same bike 05 450
for the most part the tank is great.
after some time i noticed a rub mark on my valve cover , top left side front.

i may have had my vent hose routed wrong , so it may not have been the tanks fault.

i will say that i shimmed out the 2 tank collars that go into the rubber mounting grommets.

for me this helped keep the tank off the left side radiator and valve cover.

i also have fluidyne radiators to i had to make adjustments to get good tank clearence.

good luck

• GlennR

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:52 AM

I just inheritted an Acerbis tank with the 08' I just bought. I don't know what size it is. Have any of you tried an Acerbis? Good, bad, so-so ?

• AM118

Posted March 14, 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have the 3.1 IMS on my '09. Generally happy - the only real complaint is that if you want to use the stock fuel line you need to flip the petcock (handle facing engine).

• dustdogg

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:54 PM

I have the 3.1 IMS on my '09. Generally happy - the only real complaint is that if you want to use the stock fuel line you need to flip the petcock (handle facing engine).

An easy way to fix this is to use the petcock off of the '06 and earlier steel framed WR's. You keep the reserve and it faces out with an aftermarket tank.

• pschiess

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:58 PM

An easy way to fix this is to use the petcock off of the '06 and earlier steel framed WR's. You keep the reserve and it faces out with an aftermarket tank.

Good to know because that backwards facing petcock is a pain to operate with gloves on.

• AM118

Posted March 15, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks dustdogg - good suggestion!

• dustdogg

Posted March 15, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks dustdogg - good suggestion!

No problem.........That's what TT is all about!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.