06 YZ450F Leaking coolant?

2 replies to this topic
  • Paczowski123

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:23 PM

well i just picked up a 06 yz450f. It actually a bike i used to own previously and this owner has only had it for a short while. still looks the exact same as when i gave it to him think he only rode it twice. Well i noticed today when i opened the radiator cap it was a little low on coolant. Well i started looking around for a leak and noticed a little bit of dried blue residue on the front side of the motor on the flange of the metal coolant tube that goes into the head. My question is is there a gasket or anything on that tube or is it a common place for it to leak?

I havent had a chance to really run it around to recheck it b/c i bought it at night and have been busy. But i was wondering if thats a common place to leak and if its fixable with just a gasket, or something like replacing the tube etc.

Edited by Paczowski123, March 07, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:47 PM

There is an O-ring there that can be replaced and it's one of the more common coolant leaks, few as they are, other than the water pump seals. Occasionally, either the tube or the bore it slips into may be damaged.

• Paczowski123

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Being as the bike has been ridden so little and i do not think it has ever been disassembled. I feel as though a gasket is in orde. However, i usually end up on the bad side of luck. I topped it off and ill keep an eye on it to see if it still leaks or if it just happens to be a lil low and that was some sort of cleaner or sumthin

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.